- Documents and publications
Tackling climate action at the local level: education for sustainable development projects from the global RCE network
As with many challenges, education can hold the key to finding solutions to a problem such as climate change. This publication assesses how education might address issues of climate change, using the Regional Centre of Expertise (RCE) model on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in responding to the unfolding climate crisis. The means and motivations for why RCEs have utilized education as a means for addressing climate change are diverse, however, the projects showcased in this publication tend to share some important characteristics in common to their approach to education on climate change.
This publication provides key next steps for climate change education including:
- the merging of climate change and biodiversity conservation education;
- the need for nuance and contextualized approaches when creating actions as learning outcomes;
- focusing on food and food security;
- engaging with workforces through iterative training; and
- re-examining who needs to be educated.