- Documents and publications
Community risk assessment (CRA) report: Los Angeles, Cape Town
This report documents the preliminary scoping exercise, several days of field work and subsequent additional research of a community risk assessment in Los Angeles, Cape Town. It includes detailed information on the hazards identified by Los Angeles community members, their perceptions of the root causes of these hazards, temporal trends and historical changes, recording the physical and social transformation of the community over time. The report includes time series photographs (see in the appendix) illustrating the growth of and developmental changes in the settlement over time.
The report concludes with recommendations for the reduction of risk based on the research findings to inform future risk reduction initiatives and development planning in the area. These include the following:
- Improvement of communication channels between community and role players
- Strengthened intersectoral collaboration
- Fast-tracking the provision of electricity
- Making health facilities/services more accessible to the community
- Community support in reporting illegal activities to the City of Cape Town using the toll-free number 107.
These recommendations are based on discussions held between the community and external role players and are intended as a guideline for future action.