Document / Publication
Ministry of Education (Maldives) (MOE)
This comprehensive national policy addresses the rationale for emergency planning for schools:
• National level school planning, preparedness, and emergency response and multi-sectoral representation in planning.
• School level emergency response and planning provides guidelines for management, planning/intelligence, operations, logistics and finance/administration. It also guides the site-based emergency planning committee in membership, structure, roles and responsibilities.
• Hazard and risk assessment covers structural =and non-structural hazards and emergency resources.
• Preparedness and emergency response addresses the type and level of emergency, determining immediate response actions including: duck and cover, shelter –in-place, evacuate building, off-site evacuation, shut-down and all-clear. Emergency procedures address: fire, explosion, flooding and sea swell, utilities failure, transportation accidents, earthquakes and tsunami.
• Implementing the School Emergency Operations Plan includes emergency drills for fire, earthquake, flood and tsunami.
• Appendices include a Sample School Emergency Operations Plan with sections for School Profile. Emergency Management, Hazard & Risk Assessment, Preparedness & Emergency Response, and Implementation Strategies.
The guide has been done in partnership with UNDP, the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) and the European Commission (EC).