This document discusses the importance of bringing disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation to urban planning in order to create safer spaces for citizens. 'Building Resilient Cities' highlights the challenges specific to urban environments in case of disaster and calls for the development of improved earthquake early warning systems. This issue of Southasiadisasters.net recognizes the important role of media and civil society play during a disaster.
Some of the topics addressed include the following:
- Disaster displacement in cities;
- Strengthening urban food security analysis in humanitarian crises;
- Shelter, risk and the agenda for Asia;
- Early warning and forecasting system for earthquakes;
- Safe schools and safe education.
Southasiadisasters.net, issue no.152, November 2016.