UNDRR-AIT Joint Training: Strengthening Cities Resilience to Climate and Disaster Risks
This three days virtual/online training workshop is to assist city and local governments in building greater resilience to climate and disaster risks through integrating climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction into wider city development plans and strategies.
Rapid urbanisation has a potential to make countries productive and prosperous. On the other hand, at present, most of the cities are totally unprepared to handle multiple challenges associated with urbanisation.
Urban areas concentrate disaster risk owing to urban expansion, increasing population, infrastructure and assets, and inadequate management. Hence, building resilience became an essential need for all urban cities.
Current and future challenges of mainstreaming climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction into national and local development planning demand new approaches, mechanisms, sets of skills and competencies that need to be identified and strengthened in order to form the basis of increasing public demand and political commitment to local actions and budget allocations.
The online training is open to city and local government officials, disaster management professionals, and representatives from academic and training institutions working on disaster risk reduction, adaptation and sustainable development.
The workshop sessions are specifically designed to engage participants in interactive discussions, group exercises and practical reflection on existing approaches, models, case studies, and experiences in strengthening cities resilience to disasters.
- Mr. Gen'ichiro Tsukada - Director of Climate Change Adaptation Office, Ministry of the Environment, Government of Japan.
- Mr. Marco Toscano Rivalta - Chief, UNDRR ROAP
- Mr. Iyad Abumoghli - Lead Principal Advisor on Engaging with Faith-Based Organizations, UNEP
- Ms. Mutarika Pruksapong - Programme Management Officer, UNDRR GETI
- Ms. Sunisa Soodrak - Associate Programme Management Officer, UNDRR ROAP
- Ms. Azmaira Alibhai - Faith & Ecosystems Coordinator, Faith for Earth Initiative, UNEP
- Ms. Yukiko Yamada Morovic - Technical Director for External Engagement and Programming, Livelihoods Sector, World Vision International
- Mr. Nuttavikhom (Kay) Phanthuwongpakdee - Coordinator, EPIC-N Asia
- Mr. Armen Chilingaryan - Disaster Risk Reduction Programme Manager, UNDP Armenia
- Mr. Armen Rostomyan - Lead Trainer, AIT RRC.AP
- Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP)
- UNDRR Global Education and Training Institute (GETI)
- UNDRR Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP)
Event Date & Time
- Date: 06-08 JUNE 2022
- Time: 13.00 –17.00 (GMT +7)
- Language: English