- Documents and publications
When crises converge: Responding to natural disasters in South Asia during Covid-19
Climate-related disasters have different risk pathways from COVID-19, but they can intersect and converge with the pandemic in complex and destructive ways. Many communities are exposed to both, and the long-term consequences can be similar –damage to people’s health and livelihoods and their prospects of escaping poverty. How can governments respond to these cascading and converging crises?
Knowledge acquired from decades of disaster response, combined with the experience gained during this pandemic suggests the following policies (pp. 4-6):
- Identify the hotspots;
- Ensure early warning for early action;
- Invest in resilient infrastructure;
- Customize local solutions;
- Offer universal social protection;
- Capitalize on regional cooperation;
- Building a green and resilient recovery.