This report offers detailed estimates of the natural risks faced by people, towns, key economic sectors, infrastructure systems, and public services in Vietnam’s coastal zone. The overall picture is clear: the threats are significant and growing. Around 11.8 million people in coastal provinces are exposed to the threat of intense flooding1 and over 35 percent of settlements are located on eroding coastlines.This report presents a concrete action plan to strengthen resilience in coastal areas, outlining five areas of strategic interventions:
- Strengthening data and decisionmaking tools.
- Enforcing risk-informed planning
- Strengthening the resilience of infrastructure systems and public services
- Taking advantage of nature-based solutions.
- Improve preparedness and response capacity