- Documents and publications
Impact of climate change on livelihoods and food security in Armenia (CLEAR- Consolidated Livelihood Exercise for Analyzing Resilience)
CLEAR analysis are to inform targeted resilience and adaptation activities, shed light on climate risks, provide a climate lens to monitoring systems, serve as an emergency preparedness and policy tool, and offer recommendations to strengthen household resilience. Climate change is a complex issue that poses a worldwide threat to human development and requires ambitious and bold collective actions. The CLEAR analysis is focused on rural and peri-urban areas of Armenia.
Based on the findings from the study, the recommendations are drawn to improve the governance and policy, water management, strategies for horticulture and strategies for animal husbandry.
- Governance and policy: It is recommended that the Government and donors direct their efforts to promote income diversification in settlements that are categorized as “high impact”, to build the capacities of farmers to the necessary changes of the agricultural activities expected as a result of the climate change, as well as expand the coverage of the agricultural insurance, raise awareness of farmers on its benefits.
- Water management: It is recommended that water management systems are improved including artesian waters, installation, and renovation of irrigation systems, introducing water collection systems may reduce climate change impact in the settlements.
- Strategies for horticulture: Cultivation of new crops and breeding livestock more adapted to climate change, construction of greenhouses, installation of anti-hail stations, introduction of new agro-techniques, and consultancy.
- Strategies for animal husbandry: It is recommended to diversify the crops, improve the access to remote pastures through improving infrastructures, and introduce insurance for animals from negative impact of the extreme meteorological and climate events.