This guideline document is dedicated to persons with disabilities in the Asia Pacific Region who, in the face of the ever increasing occurrence of natural disasters, tsunamis and armed conflicts, are now demanding their right to be at the table planning for their survival and wellbeing.
The objectives of this guideline are to:
- build community resilience to coastal hazards by improving capacity of inclusive disaster management systems;
- reduce the mortality rate of persons with disabilities in situations of risk;
- raise awareness about inclusive policies, practices and disaster risk reduction strategies that address the accessibility of communication, shelter, transportation and early warning systems;
- foster collaboration between disaster preparedness organizations, broadcasters and organizations of persons with disabilities to mainstreaming disability issues in disaster risk reduction strategies; and
- build the capacity of disaster management organizations, governments, broadcasters and built environment practitioners by providing technical specifications on accessible communications and the design of accessible shelters and the built environment.