Third Arab Preparatory Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
The Third Arab Preparatory Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction will take place in Doha, Qatar on April 30 - May 1 2017.
UNISDR, in collaboration with the League of Arab States (LAS) and the government of the State of Qatar will use this opportunity to discuss DRR efforts ahead of the Global Platform that will take place May 2017 in Cancun, Mexico. The conference will serve as a chance for Arab States to review regional progress on the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, finalize the Arab Strategy for DRR 2030, and agree on a programme of work. It is envisaged that the Conference will be an opportunity to achieve the following expected outcomes:
- Updated Arab strategy for DRR 2030 with a programme of work 2018-2030 aligned with Sendai Framework to strengthen political commitment and increase investment of Arab states in disaster risk reduction and sustainable development.
- A joint regional statement on disaster risk reduction in preparation for the Global Platform for disaster risk reduction in Cancun Mexico in May.
- Promoted dialogue and exchange among national and local governments, UN and other intergovernmental organizations, and the academic community on disaster risk reduction.
- Promoted sharing of knowledge, good practices and experiences to strengthen disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and sustainable development in the region.
- Enhanced scientific and technical work on disaster risk reduction and its mobilization through the coordination of the recently launched Arab Science and Technology Advisory Group (Arab-STAG) for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Themes for discussion:
- Theme 1: Understanding risk for improved linkages with climate change and sustainable development
- Theme 2: Strengthening Disaster Risk Governance: National and local strategies for DRR
- Theme 3: Updated Arab Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction 2030
- Theme 4: Monitoring the Sendai Framework for DRR – Challenges and Opportunities.
- Theme 5: Role of science and technology in disaster risk reduction