Sustainable water management for food security
This workshop will:
- Initiate a national policy dialogue to advance policy and institutional reforms related to water resources and quality in agriculture
- Outline the challenges for water systems affected by agriculture, with particular focus on the potential effects of climate change and the implications for food security
- Identify and prioritize investments to advance the performance and sustainability of agricultural water systems, to both improve water use efficiency by agriculture and lower agricultural pollution of water systems
- Substantiate the dialogue with analytical work, international best practice and the experience of experts
The topics will include:
• Responding to scarcity: Lessons from Australian Water Markets
• Meeting the present and future challenges of agricultural water management in Asia: Towards a New Framework for Action
• Food Security and the Water Futures of Java.
• How getting the "demand side" right, by empowering community led initiatives, is leading to sustainable management of freshwater in New Zealand.