- Documents and publications
Returning home after Fukushima
This policy brief seeks to examine the case of Fukushima evacuees, with a special focus on the question of return, and attempts to make policy recommendations specifically tailored for the nuclear displacement. It explores ways in which genuine durable solutions can be found for their case in line with international protection guidelines for Internal Displacement Persons (IDPs).
The publication offers the following recommendations:
- Recognise nuclear evacuees as IDPs.
- Propose local integration and resettlement on equal terms with the return of IDPs.
- Involve mediators/legal experts in the decision-making process for the return.
- Recognize self-evacuees as nuclear evacuees.
- Incorporate the existence of scientific controversies.
- Mainstream the issue of IDPs in disaster recovery.
Environment Migration Portal, Migration, Environment and Climate Change: Policy Brief Series, Issue 4, Vol. 1, September 2015. This document is part of the "Migration, Environment and Climate Change: Policy Brief Series" of the International Organization for Migration.