- Documents and publications
Regional synthesis report on the implementation of the RFA and the PIFACC
Number of pages
The Regional Synthesis Report presents a synthesis of progress attained regionally and nationally, in the implementation of the (i) Pacific Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management Framework for Action 2005 (RFA) and (ii) the Pacific Islands Framework for Action on Climate Change 2006 (PIFACC).
The report offers lessons learnt and recommendations to inform future policy implementation and initiatives:
- Continue and enhance integrated approaches to address climate change and disaster risks within the context of sustainable and resilient development.
- Strengthen and build partnerships for resilience across stakeholder groups including national and sub-national governments as well as private sector, civil society, regional partners, donors and communities.
- Facilitate inclusive processes for resilience building which directly involve vulnerable groups including youth, persons with disabilities and the elderly, are gender balanced, and build on and help reinforce cultural resilience and community knowledge.
- Robust and coordinated monitoring and evaluation is essential for measuring progress in and recording lessons learnt which can then inform future design of policies and initiatives.
- Continue to develop and implement policies and practices that reduce the carbon footprint of PICs, increase energy efficiency and energy security, while preserving the natural capital of the region.
- Strengthen national capacities to improve scientific tools to inform hazard, vulnerability and risk assessments as well as understanding of slow onset climate change impacts.
- Strengthen coordination in preparedness and response to disasters through avenues such as end to end early warning systems and a common management system for international, national, and local agency interoperability.
Framework for resilient development in the Pacific: An integrated approach to address climate change and disaster risk management
Disaster risk reduction and disaster management: a framework for action 2005–2015 - An investment for sustainable development in the Pacific Island countries
Country & Region