- Documents and publications
Italy: Towards more effective flood early warning systems
This paper documents the development of an effective flood Early Warning System (EWS) in the Umbria Region (Central Italy), as underpinned by the Hyogo Framework. Drawing lessons from this experience, the paper suggests that to improve the Early Warning System, the following aspects should be considered:
- penetration of the warning and the degree of satisfaction;
- links with the preparedness subsystem;
- data assimilation and adaptive forecasting for reducing uncertainty;
- implementation of probabilistic forecasts and the use of scenarios for the definition of flexible emergency procedures; and
- transfer of international research and policy into actions by research centres.
This document is an input paper of the 2015 Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction.