- Policies and plans
Italy: Climate Adaptation Strategy 2015
The Climate Adaptation Strategy establishes specific objectives to be reached by end of December 2016 and it is to be updated within 5 years. The National Adaptation Strategy provides an extensive knowledge on past, present and future climate change and on impacts/vulnerabilities to climate change of different sectors, including: water resources; desertification, soil degradation and drought; hydrogeological risks; biodiversity and ecosystems; health; forestry; agriculture, aquaculture, marine fishery; energy; coastal zones; tourism; urban settlements; and critical infrastructures.
The Strategy also provides a national vision on how to address future impacts of climate change in various socio-economic sectors and natural systems and it in particular aims to:
- improve current knowledge on climate change and its impacts;
- identify vulnerabilities and adaptation options for relevant natural and socio-economic systems, and describe opportunities that may be associated to climate change;
- promote participation of stakeholders in defining strategies and sectoral adaptation plans to make later implementation more effective;
- increase awareness about climate change risks and adaptation through a range of communication activities;
- specify methods to be used to identify the best options for adaptation actions, also highlighting the co-benefits.