- Documents and publications
Health and climate change: country profile 2021: occupied Palestinian territories
This health and climate change profile presents a snapshot of country-specific climate hazards, climate-sensitive health risks and potential health benefits of climate change mitigation. The profile is also a key tool in monitoring national health sector response to the risk that climate variability and climate change pose to human health and health systems. By presenting this national evidence, the profile aims to:
- Raise awareness of the health threats of climate change within the health sector, other health-related sectors and among the general public;
- Monitor national health response;
- Support decision-makers to identify opportunities for action;
- Provide links to key WHO resources.
The National Adaptation Plan recognizes the health sector as highly vulnerable to the effects of climate change, with climate-related health risks including higher incidence of waterborne diseases, foodborne diseases, and malnutrition from food insecurity. Approved in 2016, the NAP identifies a set of highly vulnerable issues concerning 12 themes and sectors, including agriculture, water, energy, food and health.