This publication discusses how community engagement is an approach to the humanitarian response of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It places people affected by disasters, violence, and armed conflict at the heart of decision-making, strategy development and orientation of activities to protect and assist their communities.
It states community engagement involves:
- Participation and feedback of community members;
- Providing information as a tool for humanitarian aid (#InfoAsAid);
- Social Behavioural Change communication;
- Strengthening accountability to affected communities.
It further discusses provides case scenarios for the following:
- Helpdesk: a tool that enhances proximity with communities;
- Suggestion boxes: a complementary tool to collect information;
- Theater: a tool that enhances proximity with communities;
- Sports events: a dialogue tool to engage with the youth;
- Group Discussions: proximity communication;
- Radio: an information network in rural areas.