Acclimatise was commissioned to implement aspects of readiness support projects in Belize (2018 – 2019), The Bahamas (2018 – 2019) and Guyana (2016 – 2017), and prepare their country strategic frameworks. This support, as seen had three main objectives:
- To strengthen the institutional capacities of the NDA to access and deliver Green Climate Fund (GCF) funding;
- To develop operational guidelines for the effective engagement of the NDA with the GCF; and
- To prepare a country strategic framework engagement with the GCF, including a country programme.
This paper seeks to build the knowledge base of how the Caribbean can successfully build capacity in the region by informing future efforts on GCF readiness, making aware the challenges that are unique to the region and continuing to help Caribbean countries battle the effects of climate change. In particular, this paper aims to identify lessons learned, focusing on the success factors and challenges identified throughout the process. It also includes recommendations to capitalise on this experience and inform future-readiness efforts:
- Ensure the long-term sustainability of the capacity-building efforts;
- Institutionalise new skills and strengthening human capacity within the National Designated Authority (NDAs);
- Allow sufficient resources for outreach and communication activities;
- Provide greater guidance on best practices and lessons learnt.