- Documents and publications
Articulating social and environmental policy for post-COVID-19 recovery in Latin America and the Caribbean: Opportunities to respond and build back better while leaving no one behind in Latin America and the Caribbean
United Nations Environment Programme
Number of pages
UNEP Regional Office in Latin America and the Caribbean has produced the series of policy briefs Articulating social and environmental policy for post-coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recovery.
This policy brief refers to opportunities to build back better following the COVID-19 crisis. The main policy options proposed are (pp. 3-4):
- Conditional Cash Transfers programmes can include incentives to environmental conservation and sustainable production and consumption at household level;
- Environmental policy instruments such as Payment for Environmental Services can improve the quality of life of the rural population while protecting key resources;
- Countries in the region can adopt social protection policies that generate resilience to disasters and climate change;
- The linkages of social protection systems with food security and sustainable agriculture are key to creating opportunities for a sustainable exit from poverty.
UNDRR Asia-Pacific COVID-19 brief: Leave no one behind in COVID-19 prevention, response and recovery