This policy brief summarises the outcomes of a research project undertaken to assess the impact of integrated disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) for policies in Tonga. It presentions an integrated framework, information on workshop options and provides three policy recommendations.
The framework was developed as a tool to analyse Tonga’s and other Joint National Action Plans (JNAPs) and to guide further policies. The framework is set up as a checklist of essential criteria to be included in JNAPs including four ‘Priorities for Action’ which include the following:
- Understanding climate change and disaster risk;
- Integrated governance for DRR and CCA;
- Supporting and investing in DRR and CCA; and
- Adaptation and risk reduction, response and recovery.
The policy brief concludes with the three recommendations:
- The Agenda should be acted upon by the stakeholders involved in the workshop and the priorities for action should be reviewed regularly to assess progress;
- There should be increased interaction and collaboration between stakeholders; and
- Someone should be appointed to oversee the actions taken as a result of the workshop and agenda produced.