- Policies and plans
Nauru: National disaster risk management plan
This National Plan supports the government's disaster risk management policy and is intended to assist the process of effectively managing hazards and risks in Nauru. It is not intended for use in its entirety during a response to a disaster.
It is constructed in such a fashion that agencies and individuals can refer to relevant parts to assist the development of associated hazard mitigation, preparedness and emergency response plans.
The aim of the plan is to support the mainstreaming of the disaster risk reduction and disaster management planning process for Nauru.
- Strengthen disaster risk management organizational policies, practices and decision-making.
- Educate, inform and empower communities to manage risks and strengthen their resilience to disasters through improved awareness and preparedness programmes.
- Ensure a coordinated approach to the application of tools and technologies to assess vulnerabilities and elements at risk.
- Coordinate the use of available resources to strengthen preparedness, response and recovery planning.
- Ensure that effective and people focussed early warning systems are established and;
- Reduce underlying risks to national development.