Climate and Development Knowledge Network
University of Ghana
Number of pages
This policy brief on ecosystem-based disaster risk reduction explores collaborative solutions to recurring flooding in Accra.
Some key messages from the policy brief include:
- Recurring / annual flooding in Accra has negative social and economic impacts, such as loss of property and livelihood.
- The ecosystem-based disaster-risk reduction approach is one nature-based solution that can be used in addressing the flooding problem in Accra.
- Both infrastructure-based solutions and ecosystem-based solutions must be integrated for effective flood management.
- Local knowledge needs to be incorporated into the risk-profiling efforts, as well as identifying innovative ways of enhancing knowledge of national and local stakeholders.
- Municipal and District Assemblies, as well as other relevant stakeholders, must collaborate in finding the solutions to flooding.
- Engagement and coordination amongst Municipal and District Assemblies enables sharing of innovative approaches and lessons learned when problem-solving
- Effective communication is important to ensure Municipal and District Assemblies work together.