- Documents and publications
Disability inclusion in disaster risk management: Promising practices and opportunities for enhanced engagement
This paper provides information to assist World Bank and GFDRR staff in affecting disability-inclusive DRM. It is based upon desk reviews of existing practice, as well as consultations with experts in the field of disability-inclusive DRM. The paper:
- Illustrates promising practices related to disability-inclusive DRM;
- Identifies key gaps in knowledge and practices; and
- Identifies value-added areas for GFDRR and the World Bank, including specific actions they can take to advance the disability and social inclusion agenda in DRM.
The paper also includes:
- Relevant guiding international policy frameworks;
- Disability inclusion in the priorities of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction;
- Illustrations of promising practices in disability-inclusive DRM; and
- Recommendations of specific lines of effort that could be undertaken to improve the inclusion of persons with disabilities in World Bank and GFDRR DRM investments.
- An annex of resources related to disability and DRM.
Although the paper is intended to help Bank staff incorporate persons with disabilities and a disability perspective in their ongoing DRM work, it is hoped that the information contained within will also be of interest to other development actors and stakeholders working in the DRM space.