Established in 1996, Disaster Preparedness Network-Nepal (DPNet-Nepal) is a national network of organizations and professionals working in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in Nepal. The DPNet-Nepal began its work on DRR as a loose network in the year 1996 through the initiations of like-minded institutions, organizations and professionals. It was envisaged as a national level platform that serves for coordination, capacity building, advocacy and knowledge dissemination for DRR in Nepal. It got official recognition after being registered with the District Administration Office (DAO), Kathmandu under the Organization Registration Act 2034. It is also affiliated in the Social Welfare Council.
DPNet-Nepal is envisioned to reduce the disaster risk in the country by working together with the partners and its mission is to advocate the issues of disaster management and establish an effective link between the government, UN agencies and civic society to reduce the risks of disasters in the country.
Disaster Reduction Goal
The objectives of DPNet-Nepal are to act as the contact point between the governmental bodies, UN Agencies, I/NGOs and professionals; enhance coordination, communication and collaboration among disaster management related organizations and individuals including the govt.; capacity building of partners; suggest policy initiatives to the govt.; educate, advocate and empower communities to strengthen local coping mechanism and for the establishment of right based approach; carryout research and development; promote indigenous knowledge and replicate best practices; organize seminars, workshops, interactions, meetings etc.; share experiences on DRR and develop DPNet-Nepal as a resource and information center. It is carrying out its activities in close collaboration and coordination with the government, UN Agencies, INGOs, NGOs and other organizations working in the field of DRR.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
Its priority areas of intervention are:
- Knowledge and Information sharing
- Coordination, Partnership and Networking
- Capacity building
- Support Implementing HFA
The policies and Programs are:
- DPNet-Nepal's 4 years National Strategy for DRR
- Partners’ Capacity Building on DRR
- Monthly Dialogue Program on DRR/climate change and vulnerability
- Organization Strengthening Project for national networking for DRR
- Resources and Knowledge Sharing Project - Publication of Nepal Disaster Report 2010/Good Practices of the partner organizations/Research Reports
- Six Inclusive Disaster Resource Centers in Nepal
- Conclave for DRR/climate change adaptation/better livelihood/sustainable development
Membership in Key Networks
Vice Chair - National Platform on DRR Nepal
Member - National Steering Committee for Implementation of Flagship Program in Nepal
Member - Syllabus Development for Master's in Disaster Risk Management, Institute of Engineering, Pulchowk, Nepal
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
- Institutional Strengthening Programs
- Capacity Building Programs in disaster
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
- Undertaking in PVA and VCA activities
- Knowledge dissemination for early warning system
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
- Knowledge transforming activities on DRR such as dialogue programs, workshops, seminars and sensitization programs.
- Information dissemination activities with web portal and other means of information.
- Public awareness activities- such as ISDR celebration, Earth Quake Safety Day celebration, Environmental Day celebration.
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
- Publication, coordination and networking for the reduction of the risk factors.
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
- Preparedness activities with IEC materials for DRR
- Policy support for the effective measures for the better response.
- Publication of the SPHERE books and implication its standard in response.
- Policy advocacy at national and local level for the effectiveness in DRR initiation.
- Working as the platform for DRR
- Monitoring and evaluation of the activities of the DRR stakeholders in common way for the better result
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Lubha Raj Neupane
C/O Nepal Red Cross Building, Red Cross Marga, Kalimati, Kathmandu Kathmandu Nepal
Conferences: - 6th AMCDRR
- UNISDR Science and Technology Conference
- AMCDRR 2016
- 2017 Global Platform
- 2018 AMCDRR