9th international conference on Southern Hemisphere meteorology and oceanography
The 9th International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography is a joint conference of the American Meteorological Society (AMS) and Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (AMOS) and will be held from 9-13 February 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.
The meeting is organised around the broad theme: "Extremes: Climate and Water in the Southern Hemisphere". Particular attention will be given to the following theme areas:
- The International Polar Year
- Monsoon Systems and Extremes
- Urban climate and Air quality
- Ocean and Atmosphere Observations in the Southern Hemisphere
- Inter-Ocean Exchanges and Southern Hemisphere Ocean Modeling
- Earth System Science Issues in the Southern Hemisphere
- Extremes in the Context of Interannual to Interdecadal Variability
- Paleoclimate of the Southern Hemisphere: The Past Informing the Future
- Weather, Climate and Hydrological Predictions in the Southern Hemisphere
- Special Session on Southern Hemisphere THORPEX
- Special Session on Pacific Island Science Activities
- Special Session on Regional Climate Change Studies in the Southern Hemisphere
The 9th ICSHMO is committed to being as carbon neutral as possible, and as such will adhere to recently adopted Green meeting guidelines from the AMS that demonstrates a commitment to environmental stewardship and in particular to reducing greenhouse gas emissions associated with running the meeting. Therefore, the 9th ICSHMO web site will have opportunities for people to purchase carbon offsets related to their travel to the conference.