6th Disaster Risk Management Knowledge Centre (DRMKC) Annual Seminar
Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, 2 Rue Hector Malot, 75012 Paris
1:00 - 10:30 p.m., 22 November
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 23 November
About the event
This 2-day event aims to share the achievements of the Union Civil Protection Knowledge Network (UCPKN) Science Pillar in addressing challenges such as compound, concurrent and cascade events which need to be included in risk analysis or the communication challenges in risk management, among others. Join us if you too want to:
- Know from the operational scientific networks about their needs and expectations from the Science Pillar (session 1)
- Hear from the other scientific networks how they shape their science advice/research agendas accordingly (session 2)
- Learn from the Member States their views on the opportunities/challenges of the integration of the various parallel, complex, connected processes like the National Risk Assessment, the (next) implementation of Disaster Resilience Goals, the development of Scenarios; we want to engage with the large community of DRMKC, also beyond the EU, to get inspiration for new answers to old and new problems (session 3)
- Reflect on the topic of accessibility and communication of scientific knowledge and will present experiences of collaboration between scientists, practitioners, policy- and decision makers as well as application of research in civil protection and disaster risk management planning and operations (session 4).
We will look into needs and gaps but also into solutions and implementations of good practices. We will share the status of initiatives being designed/implemented in the Commission to provide support for the mentioned challenges and we will collect feedbacks and ideas for a proposal plan of action of the Science Pillar for the next 2 years (2023-2024). This year’s Annual Seminar — co-hosted by the French Ministry of Interior, co-organized with DG ECHO and with opening remarks by the Czech EU Presidency — will be a hybrid event.
As of last year, the DRMKC Annual Seminar became the yearly appointment to assess the status and discuss the next steps of the Science Pillar of the Union Civil Protection Knowledge Network. During the 5th DRMKC Annual Seminar (2021) we discussed the two main topics of performing scenario building and defining the Union Disaster Resilience Goals. We also identified the following main challenges in the area of research, which will be discussed throughout this year’s conference:
- Compound, concurrent, cascade events to be included in the risk analysis
- Communication challenges in risk management
- Knowledge of the human factor and its impact on DRM
- The need to go beyond boarders with risk assessment and management approaches
- The need for proactive and prospective services to handle non-linear, complex hazards (e.g. climate change effects like droughts)
- A Multiscale approach (also subnational) for DRM
- Studies on cost/effect of mitigation measures with focus on causes and risk drivers
We kindly ask you to confirm your participation to the event by registering within 7th of November.
In case the top link is not working for you, please follow the below procedure:
- Login with your ECAS credentials from this link.
- You can just use the password, no need to authenticate with your mobile.
- Then, once you are in, you can open the link below, it should drive you directly to the registration page
In case of any problems or questions, please do not hesitate to contact event secretary at: JRC-E1-SECRETARIAT@ec.europa.eu.
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).