This brief presents the Systematic Observations Financing Facility (SOFF) will support countries to generate and exchange basic observational data critical for improved weather forecasts and climate services. Set up by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), it will provide :
- technical and financial assistance in new ways – applying internationally agreed metrics - the requirements of the Global Basic Observing Network (GBON) - to guide investments, using data exchange as a measure of success, and creating local benefits while delivering on a global public good.
- assistance to strengthen climate adaptation and resilience across the globe, benefitting in particular the most vulnerable.
- a new way to upgrade our global weather and climate forecasting systems for a fraction of the cost compared to current investment plans.
This new information brief outlines how the SOFF will work and describes the process by which this new way of investing benefits all of the global community.
Find here some of the key takeaways of the brief:
- In its initial five-year implementation period, SOFF aims to support 68 SIDS and LDCs to achieve sustained GBON compliance. This will lead to more than a 10-fold increase of observational data from radiosonde observations and more than a 20-fold increase of data from weather stations, which will be internationally shared.
- USD 400 Million are needed to cover the first 5-years of operation of SOFF to support all SIDS and LDCs in achieving GBON compliance.
- SOFF support will be provided in three phases. In the Readiness phase, the country’s hydromet status will be assessed, the GBON gap defined, and a plan developed to close the gap. The Investment phase enables countries to close the GBON investment and capacity gap. The Compliance phase supports sustained GBON compliance, and enables access to improved weather forecasts and climate analysis products.
- SOFF will create a new, structured, and results-based partnership between the beneficiary countries, bilateral and multilateral SOFF funding partners, envisioned private sector contributors, and SOFF operational partners.
- It is envisaged to announce the creation of the SOFF at UNFCCC COP26