This study aims to document commitments, trends, opportunities and challenges in relation to finance for early action. It provides detail of recent pledges of finance for early action, aims to improve understanding of where resources are coming from and how they are spent, and documents how the financing architecture is evolving. It includes recommendations for how to scale-up and improve finance for early action.
Recommendations made by the report, include:
- Deliberatly re-position 'early action' as a development and climate issue, not just a humanitarian topic.
- Work on a coherent plan with division of labour between the actors and reduced fragmentation.
- Aim to progress financial instruments 'up the pyramid'.
- Build sustainability by involving governments from the beginning.
- Build scale and sustainability by making the most of the private sector.
- Review all early action financing instruments against the good practice checklist.