The purpose of the UNDRR Scientific and Technical Advisory Group is to provide substantive technical advice and support in the formulation and implementation of activities carried out by the broad International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction community.
The Scientific and Technical Advisory Group was formed in 2012, succeeding the Scientific and Technical Committee (STC). The members of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group are drawn from across the globe and from different scientific disciplines; the current members are listed here.
Disaster Reduction Goal
The work of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group encompasses all aspects of the scientific and technical dimensions of risk reduction, with particular emphasis on the needs of developing countries. Specifically, the Scientific and Technical Advisory Group will focus on:
- Better integration of science and technology into policy.
- Greater interaction among the scientific and technical disciplines.
- Promoting greater international collaboration.
- Capacity building.
- A long term (30 to 40 years) perspective on risk.
- Risk modelling, mapping and risk analysis
- Using evidence on risk reduction actions to facilitate decision-making.
- Risk perception and risk communication