Act II: Disaster Displacement and Anticipatory Financing
The purpose of “Disaster Displacement and Anticipatory Financing” is to follow up on last year’s high-level meeting Anticipate and Act on Addressing the Humanitarian Impact of Climate Change which was co-hosted by Sweden, WFP and UNDRR in collaboration with the Swedish Red Cross. The intention is to keep up the momentum for the anticipatory action agenda, to review progress, to bring up aspects not sufficiently covered at the high-level meeting and to deepen the understanding on how best to move forward, including the process towards COP26.
This meeting is organised by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs in collaboration with WFP, UNDRR, the Swedish Red Cross and Sida, and it will take place fully virtually on the Zoom platform. It will be opened and chaired by Ms. Janine Alm Ericson, State Secretary, International Development Cooperation, Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. After introductory video messages by the Swedish Minister for International Development Cooperation Mr. Per Olsson Fridh, the Executive Director of WFP Mr. David Beasley and the Head of UNDRR Ms. Mami Mizutori, two panel discussions and a video message from Mr. Jagan Chapagain, Secretary General of IFRC will follow.
- 14.30 Welcome by State Secretary Ms. Janine Alm Ericson
- 14.35 Video messages from Mr. Per Olsson Fridh, Swedish Minister for International Development Cooperation, Mr. David Beasley, Executive Director of WFP and Ms. Mami Mizutori, SRSG and Head of UNDRR.
- 14.45 Panel 1: Disaster Displacement following Climate Change – what can be done to address the growing humanitarian impact?
- Ms. Janine Alm Ericsson, State Secretary, MFA Sweden
- Mr. Andrew Harper, Special Advisor on Climate Action, UNHCR
- Ms. Alexandra Bilak, Director, IDMC
- Mr. Atle Solberg, Head of the Secretariat, PDD
- Moderator: Mr. Carl Skau, Head of Department, MFA Sweden
- 15.30 Break
- 15.40 Video message by Mr. Jagan Chapagain, Secretary-General, IFRC
- 15.45 Panel 2: Financing Anticipatory Humanitarian Action – can scaling up funding reduce the cost?
- Ms. Sofia Calltorp, International Director, Swedish Red Cross
- Dr. Thomas Zahneisen, Director for Humanitarian Assistance, GFFO, Germany
- Mr. Dirk-Jan Omtzigt, Chief Economist, OCHA
- Ms. Emily Montier, Head of Crisis Anticipation, START Network
- Moderator: Mr. Jakob Wernerman, Director Humanitarian Assistance, Sida
- 16.30. Concluding remarks
In case of any questions, please contact Mr. Nabil Shiltagh (email@example.com).