Words of Resilience: Youth Perspectives on Urban Flood Solutions
First Prize - $500 | Second Prize - $350 | Third Prize - $150
About the competition
The “Words of Resilience: Youth Perspectives on Urban Flood Solutions” project is undertaken to address the pressing challenge of urban flooding, a consequence of climate change, rapid urbanization, and inadequate risk reduction infrastructure.
As cities continue to expand and become more densely populated, they face increasing susceptibility to the devastating impacts of floods, which can lead to significant economic losses, property damage, and threats to public health and safety.
This project aims to provide a platform for young people to express their concerns, ideas, and solutions for urban flood resilience through written essays, thereby raising awareness about the issue and promoting innovative strategies to mitigate flood risks.
Suggested essay topics
While we encourage you to explore any aspect of urban flooding that interests you, here are some suggested essay topics to help guide your writing process:
- My lived experience – A First-Hand Account of Urban Flooding Impact in my City
- Youth Engagement in Developing and Promoting Early Warning Systems
- Incorporating Local Knowledge and Practices in Early Warning Systems for Floods
- The Role of Urban Planning in Flood Resilience: Opportunities and Challenges.
- Understanding Vulnerability in Urban Flood Risks: How Can We Do Better?
- The Impact of Urban Flooding on Health and Wellbeing: A Call for Action.
- Innovative Technologies for Enhancing Urban Flood Resilience.
- Building Back Better: Post-Flood Recovery and Reconstruction in Urban Areas.
- Policy Frameworks and Governance for Urban Flood Resilience.
- August 1 to November 30, 2023 - Call for submissions
- December to February - Judging period
- March 23, 2024 - Winners announced on World Meteorological Day
- Age: Entrants must be between 18-30 years old at the time of submission.
- Nationality: Entrants must be citizens of a Southeast Asian country. Valid proof of citizenship is required.
Ready to submit your essay?
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).