Call for applications: Continental Rally 2024, a boost towards safer schools
The Vive con Esperanza Foundation, with the support of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Regional Office for the Americas and the Caribbean, has opened the application period for the Continental Rally 2024. This regional competition is aimed at elementary and middle schools in the Americas, with the objective of promoting Education for Sustainable Development and Disaster Risk Management.
This program aims to raise environmental awareness and enhance disaster preparedness and the ability to respond to emergency situations at all educational levels, driving the transition towards more sustainable and resilient development models in the region.
Disasters have a significant impact on children, youth, teachers, school staff, and education systems as a whole. Studies on disaster trends and the consequences of climate change suggest that each year, approximately 175 million children are likely to be affected solely by climate-related threats. When considering the impacts of other latent hazards such as geological, biological, environmental, chemical, technological, and social risks, ensuring resilient schools and education becomes fundamental to guaranteeing the right to education while achieving the main objectives of the United Nations' 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The Continental Rally focuses on five strategic lines for this edition:
- Health and Well-being: Promoting healthy practices, both physical and mental, among children and youth, educating them on prevention and care measures during crises, and fostering balanced nutrition and physical activity.
- Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation: Educating on the importance of sustainable development, promoting actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, conserve natural resources, and adapt to the effects of climate change.
- Entrepreneurship and Sustainable Economic Development: Fostering entrepreneurial spirit among young people, promoting leadership, creativity, and innovation skills, and integrating responsible consumption and local opportunities generation.
- Disaster Risk Management with an emphasis on School Safety: Providing education on disaster risk management, emergency planning, and school safety promotion to strengthen community resilience.
- Equity and Social Inclusion: Ensuring equity and inclusion in the program by providing free access to all participating schools and addressing the specific needs of each community.
The Continental Rally is open to all elementary and middle schools in the Americas that wish to participate in promoting sustainable and resilient education in their community. Interested schools must register through the official Rally website and develop the initiatives proposed in the participant's manual.
The school initiatives will be evaluated by a jury composed of representatives from international organizations and experts in sustainable development. Winning schools will receive recognition and awards at both regional and international levels, in addition to being integrated into the International Committee of the Vive con Esperanza Award. This committee allows them to advise other schools at the continental level.
For more information about the Continental Rally 2024, registration, and more, visit the official website.
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).