ORGANIZER(S): UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Office in Incheon for Northeast Asia and Global Education and Training Institute for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR ONEA-GETI)
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Regional Office for Asia and Pacific (UNDRR AP)
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 01 - 02 Oct 2019 Location: Korea, Rep of (Incheon)
The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is collaborating with partners to help national and local governments accelerate action to develop DRR strategies at the national and local levels by 2020. To this end, the UNDRR Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific convened a Regional Consultative Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies in December 2018. The workshop recognised the need for a focused dialogue on local strategies with key stakeholders and partners.
UNDRR has also coordinated a mapping of progress in the development of national and local DRR strategies in the region to complement the information received through the Sendai Framework/SDG Monitoring.
To take this discussion forward a Consultative Workshop on Local Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies is being organised. The workshop aims to:
• Assess the progress in achieving Target (e) in Asia Pacific region, focusing on local strategies;
• Identify challenges and build on the experiences and lessons (both UNDRR and partner organisations);
• Share good practices and lessons and identify best approaches for local disaster risk reduction strategies;
• Share available and relevant tools and guidelines;
• Explore partnership opportunities to support national and local efforts to achieve Target (e).
The workshop will result in a concrete roadmap on accelerating the development of local disaster risk reduction strategies in the region.
Outcomes of the consultative workshop will be shared at the Seventh Asia-Pacific Urban Forum (15-17 October 2019 in Malaysia) and subsequent forums and events, including the 2020 Asia-Pacific Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. The roadmap developed at the workshop will be used by UNDRR and partner organisations to scale up coordinated action on local disaster risk reduction strategies.
Short URL: https://www.preventionweb.net/go/67282