The mission of General Directorate of Civil Emergencies is to strengthen Albania’s capacities to prevent, protect against, mitigate, respond to, and recover from the consequences of natural or man-made disasters.
Disaster Reduction Goal
Albania aims to improve the management of disasters and create a culture of DRR which permeates every field of government, so that the consequences of future disasters will be reduced. The focus is to establish strategic goals and encourage a culture of civil protection by emphasizing multi-hazard DRR and full participation by all stakeholders while strengthening the representation in the decision making process.
Enhancing the abilities, transferring skills and knowledge of Civil Protection System (CPS) together with raising the culture of voluntarism among the population of Albania will allow us to achieve measurable and sustainable results.
While we strongly believe on close cooperation and coordination between CPS structures, we understand the need of integrating them into a comprehensive organizational structure.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
- An integrated approach of the disaster risk reduction, addressing the main risks that are likely to affect Albanian country, in line with climate change agenda.
- Reduction of impacts of natural disasters on economic and social losses.
- Taking with the European Aquis and approximate its legal framework of civil protection.
- Strengthening the cooperation and coordination between the governmental and non-governmental agencies as well as being more effective and efficient in weather forecasts and response to natural disasters.
- Strengthening of regional cooperation, as well as the strengthening of capacities in better responding by synchronizing the system to better .
Membership in Key Networks
Disaster Preparedness and Prevention Initiative (DPPI)
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
- Development of the new draft law on Civil Protection, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Civil Protection Strategy and Priority Investments Programs
- Strengthening of planning, managing and operational structures at central and local level through revision of institutional set -up and planning process
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
Albania has completed risk assessment studies on all major risks (quakes, floods, landslides, forest fires, snow)
- Increased capacities of scientific institutions, such as t Institute of Geoscience, Energy, Water and Environment and Albanian Geological Service have enhanced their risk monitoring and assessment level.
- Increased bilateral and regional coordination and initiatives (eg. DPPI) in disaster prevention
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
- Identifying the communities at risks : flood, fire, land slide, heat wave, earthquake, in coordination with Local Authorities;
- Recruiting and training of the volunteers from these communities, keeping in mind the gender balance ;
- Organizing community discussion for : risks threatening them, vulnerabilities of the area, capacities in their disposal, communities behaviour, preparedness activities, identify the mini projects for reducing the risks etc..
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
- Reducing risks from seismic activities through development of improved Building Codes and mechanisms for introduction and enforcement of improved standards
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
The National Plan on Civil Emergencies together with the law on Civil Emergencies are the main documents in Albania related to prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response. The plan covers all elements of prevention, mitigation and recovery and it suggests that all prefectures administrations and municipalities should develop their own Civil Emergency Plans.