Romania National Platform
In 2005, Romania participated to the World Conference on Disaster Reduction, held in Kobe, Japan, and signed the Hyogo Declaration, thus adopting the Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015: Building the Resilience of Nations and Communities to Disasters and committing to implement its measures at national and local level. At first, the role of the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction was played by the National Committee for Emergency Situations, but soon it became clear that there is a need for a more complex entity that should involve civic organizations, NGOs and media. After months of negotiations, the Government Decision no. 762/2016 entered into force, establishing the organization and the functioning of the National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, comprised of relevant national authorities, risk management working groups and civil society representatives.
The National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction is comprised of the National Committee for Emergency Situations, National Risk Assessment Working Group, technical working groups dedicated for the management of specific disaster risks, NGOs, local authorities' associations, professional associations, trade unions, academia, religious and cultural organizations and media. The Platform is an open entity, any relevant organization can be part of it and participate in activities, after going through a very simple registration process.
Entities included in the Platform
- Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Ministry of National Defence
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Transportation, Infrastructure and communications
- Ministry of Economy, Energy and Business Environment
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
- Ministry of Environment, Forests and Water Administration
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Education and Research
- Ministry of Public Finance
- Intelligence Service
- Special Telecommunication Service
- Protection and Guard Service
- General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations
- National Administration of State Reserves and Special Issues
- National Sanitary Veterinary and Food Safety Authority
- Nuclear Agency
- National Commission for Nuclear Activities Control
- State Secretariat for the Religious Affairs
- Civil Organizations
- Association of Communes of Romania
- Romanian Patriarchy
- Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic
- Federation of the Jewish Communities in Romania
- Reformed Church in Romania
- Baptist Cult of Romania
- National Institute for Earth Physics
- National Institute for Research and Development in Forestry "Marin Dracea"
- Geological Institute of Romania
- National Research and Development Institute for Soil Science, Agrochemistry and Environmental Protection
- National Institute for Research and Development in
- Constructions, Urbanism and Sustainable Spatial
- Development URBAN-INCERC
- Romanian Academy
- Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest
- Babeș-Bolyai University
- "Gheorghe Asachi" Technical University of Iaşi
- Romanian Red Cross Society
- Save the Children Romania
- Habitat for Humanity Romania
- World Vision Romania
- Adventist Development and Relief Agency Romania
- Caritas Confederation Romania
There is not established a specific budget for the platform. The ministries responsibie for risk management finance the activities carried out under the auspices of the Platform, on their area of responsibility. The budget is estimated each year based on the annual plan of activities.
The National Platform provides support to the national authorities for the implementation of the international and regional strategies for disaster risk reduction developed by UN, EU, NATO and other relevant entities.
National Platform's mandate:
- encourages cooperation between relevant stakeholders in all phases of disaster risk management;
- advocates for investments in raising community resilience and promote ”build back better” approach to disaster recovery;
- provides a framework for discussion on how to involve all relevant stakeholders thus ensuring a national approach of disaster risk management;
- represents the focal point for communication with regional, european and international organization on DRR/DRM.
Is this page useful?Yes No Report an issue on this page
Thank you. If you have 2 minutes, we would benefit from additional feedback (link opens in a new window).