How do we:
- motivate Local Government leaders to invest in DRR and resilience
- encourage national actions to improve DRR implementation at local level
- enhance collaboration between citizen groups and local governments for effective risk reduction
  • Dear Colleagues and Participants,

I’d like to welcome you to this new on-line dialogue on understanding “the needs and issues to address urban and local disaster risks”. I am eager to interact with all of you as your inputs are valuable in shaping us the NEW Post 2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.

As we know, majority of the population now lives in urban centers – a figure projected to rise to two thirds in little over a generation. This increasing concentration of people, economic activities and assets in urban areas adds to the disaster risks if proper planning is not put in place. There are some local governments though, that have invested much resource in protecting the life of their citizens and assets against disasters. But there are still many especially in developing countries that are not aware that making investment in DRR is worth it!

In my opening remarks, I shared the result of our recent survey highlighting 3 challenges to DRR:

a) Lack of legal and institutional mechanism that hinder especially the local governments to act effectively in reducing their risks. As for decentralization and devolution of power from national and local governments, many attempts have been made, but few have actually been implemented.

b) Inadequate capacity at the urban and local level - such as in raising people awareness, making good or better planning in integrating DRR in local actions, as well as making investment in reducing risks,

c) Lack of budget allocated for DRR by local and or national governments.
    There are good examples of how investment made by local governments has benefited. In the case of Albay (Philippines) through the DRR activities, the local government was able to improve the economy of the Province as more private companies have been attracted and made investment there.

To find solutions and understand the challenges better, the questions I would like to ask everyone are:

- “How to encourage our leaders and mayors that investment on DRR will not be wasted! How can we motivate them that they need to invest now!”
    - “How we ensure what national governments have promised are implemented at the local level.”
    - "How we can we enhance engagement of informed citizen groups with local governments for effective risk reduction practice?

Please share your opinions and views to make the places we live safer against any natural disasters.
    Your inputs are counted! The more we say, the stronger we speak – it will help us learn the needs and find the solutions. With you, we all can make a difference!

This online dialogue will close on 5 April; please spare your busy time and contribute before it closes.

Thank you and I look forward to having your comments.

With warm regards,
    Bernadia
    Facilitator
  • First of all I want to introduce and thank our moderator for this dialogue, Bernadia Irawati Tjandradewi. Bernadia has a long history with the CityNet secretariat and is currently based in the City of Yokohama. As a partner she worked with UNISDR to develop and launch the Making Cities Resilient Campaign, including as an active member of the first Advisory Panel to the campaign and before that in the Asian Urban Disaster Risk Reduction Task Force. As an urban planner, promoter of city-to-city learning and training of Mayors and local governments, she has provided invaluable advice to me and UNISDR, and helped to motivate a high number of Asian cities to commit to resilience and disaster risk reduction.

I just participated in an Conference of Local Governemtents hosted by the Municipality Association of Bangladesh in Dhaka and opened by the Prime Minister with several Ministers, incl of Finance, and hundreds of Mayors.
    How to motivate the local government leaders?
    -Dialogue between national and local leaders is a must: on how to decentralize, build up resources and capacities from bottom-up. And great to see that in this case the conveners were the local governments, both urban and rural.
    -As Mayors or Governors, use disaster resilience and preparedness to talk to people and engage directly, to find common solutions and 'dig in'. This is how the new Governor of Jakarta has led a 'clean the drains' campaign in his city. Attack solid watse problems and at the same time reduce flood risk. And people that trust their local leaders, working with them, will also re-elect them!

I look forward to a fruitful discussion and your answers to the questions raised. Thanks again, Bernadia, for your collaboration and leadership.
  • It is my great honor and pleasure to join the dialogue. On behalf of the President of the International Ocean Institute (IOI), Dr. Awni Behnam, I would like to respond to key points you have raised:

- “How to encourage our leaders and mayors that investment on DRR will not be wasted! How can we motivate them that they need to invest now!”

I would like to use case of Thailand where the country has empowered the cities such as Bangkok and Pattaya and throughout the country via (more than 70) Provincial Administrative Organization (PAOs) and (more than 7,000) Sub-District (Tambon) Administrative Organizations (TAOs). The TAOs will be upgraded into Municipalities in according to certain level of revenue generation.

As you know, there are many lesson learned from major cities around the world which were impacted by natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, severe storms, tsunamis, etc. These should be classified and categorized for all the cities on level of risks to all types of disasters (risk assessment) in the country. The important planning agenda are on how to arrange for public knowledge, awareness, mitigation, preparedness and response for all residents and time requirements to implement on such agenda. This will need planners, experts, key stakeholders from relevant Governmental organisations as well as private sector & industries, Civil Society, schools and communities to involve in planning process to meet the planning agenda. By obtaining overall planning and way to implement such work plans, financial & human resources requirements will be provided to support the work plans on a priority and pracmatic bases. It will need a strategic team to work on this analysis. This will definitely encourage the leaders and mayors to decide on investment on disaster risk reduction to meet such priority.

- “How we ensure what national governments have promised are implemented at the local level.”

This will need certain types of assessment on national capability in dealing with disaster risk reduction at the local level. Mostly we will find communication gaps between/among national governments and local level. There should be adaptive learning projects on disaster risk reduction at the local level. The project cycle management should be co-managed by a team of national platform organisations (multi-organisation) and local working groups established by local authorities.

Financial support must be effectively allocated and managed with less government bureaucratic to ensure continuity of project activities. In the aftermath of the Indian Ocean Tsunami, IOI in Thailand assisted Thailand's National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC) established its early warning and mitigation systems, assessed national capability, submitted various projects to UN organisations for financial support as well as provided strategic plans to implement such systems at national and local levels effectively. Also in the aftermath of the 2011 floods, IOI and its partners assisted NDWC to assess flood early warning capability and enhancing flood early warning. It was found that before implement flood early warning systems, clearing house mechanism will be needed at the national level as well as certain capacity building needs for national government prior to implementation at the local level.

- "How can we enhance engagement of informed citizen groups with local governments for effective risk reduction practice?

It will need solid strategic adaptive learning pilot projects on DRR at the local level. Working groups of authorities at the local level shall be established. Expert team from IOI and its partners can help in formulate the DRR projects in according to national and local contexts.
  • The local government is ultimately the decision-maker for implementation of policies in the final analysis. Governments appear, reluctant to react to issues unless there is a problem to be solved or it is a local government issue.

In order to encourage national actions, the decision-making process fundamentally, needs to include representation of broad networks at various levels and individuals of diverse socio-economic backgrounds. If vulnerable populations are most likely to be affected in disaster situations, the selection process needs to support candidates that contribute towards the decision-making process for comprehensive viewpoints to complete assessments. The vulnerable population may demonstrate groups with special needs (disabilities, social disparities and gender), elderly people, and the poverty state for consideration to integrate with institutions and municipalities to establish local strategies for actions taken.

Local government needs to engage with the community, visit citizen groups that take action for effective risk reduction and support interventions for regional areas.
  • We can encourage our leaders and politicians to invest in DRR by understanding their political goals and providing DRR policies for our communities that fit the political will of the community. Local government DRR leaders must engage the community at the grass roots level through community organizations and citizens groups to foster DRR strategies for the community. A key componenet to this lobby is to educate the community on the risks we face and the current level of preparedness of the community to meet the hazards identified. Creating dialogue and discussion on DRR at open community forums involving DRR leaders,citizen groups and politicians encourages the decision and funding process for DRR policies for the community.

• Thanking you for your remarkable milestone to integrate the local Govt to invest more on DRR Improvements. it is my point of view that the developing country especially in Pakistan the situation is more complex. the dynamics of the institution is showing that the overall performance mechanism is not up to the mark in general. Although the local Govt system play a pivotal role in the development of urbanization as well as the development of the sewerage and sewage system with strong sanitation mechanics the developing country could not cater the local Govt system as it required while most of the local Governance system is ineffective in most of the area particularly the urban and metropolitan urban slums. it is worth mentioning that if the system is not place how it possible to start the intervention in DRR Improvement.

Some points should be consider important.

1. The local system is the tier where one can play a vigorous role to impart the DRR training at the local level to improve the sensitization and capacity building.

2.The Local Govt representative should be equipped with development of urbanization and rural areas building code and urban planning.

3. The law of urban planning and design of the planning should be take a priority.all the developmental projects should be environmental and socially viable projects.

4. The authority and domain of the local govt representative should be increased and improve.

5. The housing system should be developed within the standard framework of hoyogo
  • Sono onorata di prendere parte a questa discussione.
    Sono un giovane ingegnere italiano specializzato in rischio idrogeologico.
    Con la mia tesi per la master degree mi sono occupata di come creare e gestire un processo di partecipazione e informazione di diversi stakeholders di un territorio nell'ambito della riduzione dei rischi.
    I risultati sono stati notevoli.
    1) le persone che comprendono il rischio vogliono partecipare alle attività di riduzione.
    2) ci dovrebbe essere una figura professionale che cura la comunicazione del rischio e l'educazione degli stakeholders sia per un corretto uso del suolo che riguardo le situazioni di emergenza.
    3) è possibile trovare misure di mitigazione del rischio che siano sostenibili economicamente, ambientalmente e socialmente attraverso un processo partecipato con i cittadini.
    4) è necessario stanziare i fondi per un'analisi del rischio quantitativa che faccia conoscere bene il territorio e i problemi.
    Un grosso problema però è rappresentato dal vincolo economico perchè non è facile trovare le risorse e dal vincolo politico perchè non è facile far comprendere l'importanza della riduzione del rischio.
    Nel mio paese molti giovani ingegneri come me specializzati nel rischio idrogeologico non hanno lavoro perchè non ci sono investimenti in questo settore.
    come possiamo cambiare le cose?
  • A number of factors contributing to the effective DRR intervention before, during or after a disaster strike. Some of these factors are capable leadership, committed government or NGO staff, and sound management and financial practices. Government agencies, including local governments, move first, but may not with good coordination capacities. As there is a growing need for quick services after a disaster hits, it is a crying need that whomsoever providing services should diversify their services, and offer special services aimed at reducing disaster risks. Recently, a twister hit around 25 villages in B’Baria in Bangladesh in which more than 20 people died, hundreds injured and properties (house, food, clothes etc) lost. But, despite of all possible efforts of all concerned, such as, government and non-government agencies, people are suffering. I’m not sure but it could be effective had there been a fully-equipped rapid deployable outfit like the militaries have. This service requires considerable investment and pilot testing, however. In fact, I want to say that there is a strong need for investment in institutional development in DRR so that they can offer real DRR service.
  • I think many local admirations want to contribute to DRR, but lack the resources. One of the ways to ensure local funding can be: to design a program that encourages investment through, for example, matching fund from local governments for an amount contributed by the central government or a donor. Without such supports, local governments are pressurised by their constituencies to respond to short-term and pressing needs. If they can be challenged to rise funding locally to match an amount they can receive from elsewhere can encourage them to meaningfully contribute to DRR initiatives. However, I do not want to end my comment without emphasizing on the need for funding from the developed world. The impacts of disasters are not the making of the poor alone; in fact they are the victims in this regard. Hence, the next HFA should advocate for adequate funding from the haves. Over expecting the already impoverished communities to fully fund such projects would be begging for the impossible.
  • Dear Colleagues and DRR Practitioners,
    How do we:
    - motivate Local Government leaders to invest in DRR and resilience
    - encourage national actions to improve DRR implementation at local level
    - enhance collaboration between citizen groups and local governments for effective risk reduction
    As a main stakeholder the implementation of developmental activities is the responsibility of the local government, which is existing everywhere throughout the world, so its role role is more crucial and important for integration DRR into development process. But how we motivate the local leaders, this is very important question.First there is needed to create awareness among the leaders on the the importance of DRR and its integration into developmental projects. Second there should be proper allocation of budget for DRR activities. The NGOs and Donor agencies should support the local authorities through donation, advocacy and lobby on DRR.

The realistic approach and real setting of national actions can help to improve DRR at local level, otherwise just actions will remain actions not reality.This requires expert, professionals and real planners at national level, but unfortunately the third countries are lack such good practices.

If the local leaders are real representatives of the people the collaboration of the citizen can be enhanced, without building people trust on local authorities effective DRR is not possible. Second there should proper knowledge and awareness among the masses on DRR issues. Education department, NGOs and religious institution can play vital role in this regard.
  • there is one point that must be addressed, when planning and implementing DRR Services they must be inclusive and thus people with disabilities have to be taken ino account when planning and executing DDR. Accesibility is a big issue, so we must encourage a) participation of all, b) Inclusion index so every measurement will be inclusive, ) to train everyone in DDR
  • We need to encourage bottom-up, locally appropriate strategies that allow for partnerships and synergies between community development and disaster risk reduction; multi-disciplinary design workshops supported by both local practitioners, NGOs, community members, and planners/architects/engineers/designers/faculty/students. Encourage innovation while supporting local capacity building through training, education, and engagement in local adaptation and hazard mitigation efforts. Build networks of local agents of change who share lessons and strategies for success.
  • Dear Colleagues and DRR Practitioners,

How do we:

• Identify strategies and activities that families, and communities as a group can undertake to reduce their vulnerabilities and enhance capacities, thus minimizing the chance of a disaster;

• Identify actions that individuals, families, and communities can undertake after the issuance of an early warning and before the occurrence of hazard, in order to save lives and property

• Identify the stakeholders who will support these activities from within the community and outside the community;

• Identify the stakeholders who might oppose the risk reduction activities;

• Discuss and identify the resources that community has to implement the risk reduction and preparedness measures; and,

• Identify what other resource the community may require from outside agencies.
  • Since disaster risk reduction measurements are more cost effective and sustainable actions than post disaster activities, they should be paid more attention by local authorities. Unfortunately the most actions in disaster risk management have been focused in response and recovery phases. Here are some suggestions to motivate local government leaders to invest in DRR and resilience programs:

1- Social motivation and development Non Governmental Organizations for negotiation with local government.
    2- Development some research projects specially regarding on economic cost – effectiveness of disaster risk reduction plans. I think that economic costs are very important for governmental leaders.
    3- Development multidisciplinary plans for local disaster risk reduction. These plans should be developed with cooperation of local government leaders from the beginning steps of the planning.
    4- Development an administrative high committee for urban resilience.
  • Dear Bernadia and colleagues,
    Your opening remarks are very useful.
    Although I refrain from offering solutions that fir 'one-size-fits-all' prescriptions, I believe the following ingredients are relevant in most scenarios:
    Local authorities (both municipal level and regional level) need a coordinated and incentivized mechanism for addressing both disaster risk reduction and disaster governance; this aspect of regional - beyond local- allows better effectiveness of policies and action in tune with the scale of problems as we contemplate larger not smaller and more frequent hazards over time;
    Mainstreaming DRR and DRM in planning, budgeting, and administrative arrangements is not to be viewed as optional but a mandated requirement with provision of appropriate resources, in a multi-level coordinated approach;
    Stakeholder participation needs to be institutionalized, with a particular role for monitoring and evaluation of activities.
    Thank you very much.
    Dr. P. K. Rao
    USA.
  • 1.- Including the authorities in the process of senzitising and training of DRR programs in the vulnerable communities to get the engagement and accomplishment with solutions.
    2.- With the implementation of strategies and tools that the grassroots women buiild and use to get the engagement required to get resilient cities.
    3.- Implementation of local disaster risk reduction plans including the government and community leaders in the whole process.
    4.- The Non Government Organization working from down to up with the grassroots women start to negotiate to get resiient cities
  • The knowledgeable Emergency Manager is critical to be able to address these questions. That person may be paid or volunteer, male or female, but s/he must have the vision, must know the mission and must know the work and how to do it.

The Vision of the Emergency Manager is an environment where the effects of emergencies and disasters are minimal, because everyone everyone avoids, prevents or minimizes hazards where possible and prepares as necessary for effective disaster response and recovery.

The Mission of the Emergency Manager is to maximize the commitment individuals, groups and communities make to emergency management.

1. In order to encourage leaders and mayors that investment on DRR will not be wasted, the Emergency Manager must help them to understand that every individual, every group (public or private, schools, media, not-for-profit, non-governmental, faith-based, etc.) and the community itself is invested in the emergency management process. It is not a question of not wasting the investment, but rather a question of maximizing the commitment to the process. To motivate them to invest more, the Emergency Manager must demonstrate that the maximized commitment of the community is insufficient to the need.

2. In order to ensure that what national governments have promised is implemented at the local level, national governments must also have Emergency Managers, supported by national elected officials, who understand that their purpose in large part is to support local activities. Their processes (preparedness plans, training, mitigation activities, financial support, etc.) must maximize the local commitment.

3. In order to enhance engagement of informed citizen groups with local governments for effective risk reduction practice, the local Emergency Manager must create Integrated Emergency Management Systems on organized common knowledge and common ground. The Emergency Manager transforms information about hazards, vulnerabilities, demographics, geography, capabilities, deficiencies, etc. into organized common knowledge through planning, outreach, education, training and exercising emergency plans. The Emergency Manager capitalizes on the common patterns that exist in disaster and disaster response, including basic response functions, priorities shared by responders (whether professional or volunter), how people respond to crisis and the disaster response pattern.

I look forward to the continued discussion.
  • Dear Benadia

In my country, the reason why most of local authority did not invest in DRR is due to lack of awareness and budget constraint. More often than not when disaster happened, Federal Agencies would take charge in handling the situation and less involvement from local authority. Due to this fact local authority feels that their role is less important and therefore there is no urgent need to embark on DRR initiatives. More so when they have limited budget and depend solely on Federal Government for financing.

To ensure buy in from local government, Federal Government must set up Disaster Risk Management Framework at national level before cascade down to state and eventually to local level. By having the framework, each tier of government would understand better their role in risk identification, assessment and mitigation. However to embed risk culture is a journey, thus continuos effort and commitment by Federal Government to promote DRR awareness is required.

With regards to the involvement of community at local level, I think local government can use Local Agenda 21 (a product of United Nation Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in 1992, Rio de Jeneiro, Brazil) as a platform to get participation from the community by introducing a project related to DRR. After all Local Agenda 21 is about sustainable development, therefore it is more reason for DRR initiative to be introduced as part of its initiatives to ensure sustainability of a country from the impact of disaster. Currently many developing country have implemented Local Agenda 21. Instead of having to many UN initiative running on a different platform and in silo why don't we look at integrating DRR initiatives with other UN initiative under different flagship to create value and synergy.

Thank you and regards,

Badlishah Ahmad
    Malaysia
  • Saludos cordiales a todos. Por mucho tiempo, dedicamos un gran esfuerzo para que las autoridades locales en mi país, Chile, hiciera algo más en materia de manejo del riesgo e invirtiera más recursos en los temas de desastres, sin embargo uno de los obstáculos más potentes, siempre fue el cambio de autoridad. Nadie quiere seguir con las políticas de Gobiernos anteriores y, eso hace fracasar muchso esfuerzos. Intentar un mayor compromiso de las autoridades en esta materia va por legislaciones que estén encaminadas en ese sentido. Muchas de nuestras autoridades son políticas y, poco o nada conocen de manejo del riesgo.
    Mi país, uno de los más sísmicos del planeta, donde sabemos por tradición que hay terremotos y tsunamis muy violentos, se quedó esperando que ocurrierra un evento como el del 27 de febrero de 2010, pero sólo espero. No tuvimos la capacidad de reaccionar y, mucho menos de actuar apropiadamente.
    La urbanización no dice relación, en su mayoría, con materias de riesgos. Nos falta fiscalización y seguimos reactivos.
    Las ciudades puertos, con alta pendiente, se construyen junto al mar y no existen medidas de mitigación.
    Dicho esto, creo que uno de los modos más afectivos para motivar a nuestras autoridades a incorporar el tema de manejo del riesgo y desastres naturales, es generar políticas más rigurosas. No se puede esperar a que haya nuevos muertos y destrucción para ver qué hacemos.
    Pienso que es dable un marco internacional de mitigación y colaboración más fuerte, que no quede en meros esfuerzos, sino en políticas que impliquen educar en materia de desastres, gestión del riesgo, urbanismo y emergencias. Sin estos cuatro pilares, es difícil hacer algo. Las normas urbanas deben obedecer a las caracteríticas de cada país, por cierto, pero también a un marco global que indique, expresamente, la importancia de relacionar el urbanismo al riesgo por desastres, materias que jamás van en el mismo sentido, sino a contrario sensu, van por vías muy diferentes.
    La educación debe ser transversal. No es posible que la máxima autoridad de un país no sepa que hacer ante un terremoto y sus efectos secundarios. las malas decisiones que se tomaron en Chile, durante la madrugada del 27 de febrero de 2010, dejaron de manifiesto que si la máxima autoridad y sus asesores no saben qué hacer, menos reacciona la gente.
    Es necesario cambiar la mentalidad de reacción por proactividad. En América Latina, al menos, siempre se espera a que el desastre ocurra para tomar medidas, que nunca son suficientes ni eficientes.
    Las autoridades deben convenir que todo lo que se haga en reducir el desastre, debe superar las diferencias políticas de un Gobierno u otro y, ello es sólo posible a travpes de convenios, que obligue a los Estados a tener políticas de largo plazo y no sólo mientras dura un Gobierno y se cambia a otro.
    Les deseo éxito en esta tarea.
  • Dear Friends,

I would like to share some thoughts on how to motivate local Government leaders to invest on Disaster Risk Reduction.

Investment in DRR has never been a priority for most Government officers as the results are not experienced until there is a disaster. Disasters are not anticipated and therefore there is no interest for preparedness.

However, during some evaluation assignments, I have seen a few rare examples of local leader investing in DRR in some districts in India. My inquiry in to these encouraging examples taught me the following lessons:

The motivation of Government leaders is usually triggered by awareness of the local communities and their persistent demand for DRR efforts from the local leaders.

Motivation is also triggered when their performance is under scrutiny of voters ont he basis of the actions taken to reduce disaster risks.

Peoples awareness and motivation of local leaders are usually high when people experienced disasters in the recent past.

Peoples awareness and local leaders motivation are also inspired by consistent efforts of local organizations combining with exposure, education and training.

Hari Krishna Nibanupudi
    Senior Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist
    International Center for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD),
    Kathmandu, nepal
  • Hola Colegas buenas tardes y buenas noches, quisiera dar un saludo a nuestra conductora y Pongo el ejemplo de México donde la estructura política se divide en tres niveles de Gobierno el más pequeño el Municipal, le sigue el Estatal y por último el Federal todos independientes, pero ante un desastre de gran magnitud donde las dos primeras estructuras se ven rebasadas para la solución del problema y ante la incapacidad económica para resolverla. Se activa el Fondo Nacional Contra Desastres Naturales (FONDEN) de x cantidad económica ($) Sin embargo solo pueden acceder a los recursos que se destinen para la atención de la emergencia aquellos Municipios o Estados que tengan sus Atlas de Riesgos Desarrollados, obligados, como una primera etapa de identificación y documentación geográfica y geopolítica de los riesgos a los que están mas frecuentemente expuestos la población local. ¿Esto debería servir? para que los gobernantes subsecuentes tomen las mejores decisiones en la otorgación de permisos o programas urbanos, políticos, etc. Sin embargo habría que instrumentar algunos candados para que de alguna manera los esfuerzos ya realizados y en donde existan estos Atlas de Riesgos fueran difundidos a la población en general quienes tendrían un conocimiento de aquellos lugares por ejemplo que podrían ser más riesgosos para habitar, sembrar, etc.
    Esto permitiría que los mismos pobladores fueran garantes de la RRD.
  • It is our pleasure to share our experience in engaging local governments on DRR since 2009. Our organization, the Ecosystems Work for Essential Benefits, Inc. (ECOWEB), has able to successfully mainstream DRR in the municipal comprehensive development and land use plan and in all barangay (village) development plans in Josefina, in the province of Zamboanga del Sur, Mindanao Philippines. This is currently replicated in another municipality, Kolambugan in Lanao del Norte province and was also done at another municipality in Naawan in the province of Misamis Oriental. Municipal Risk Assessment, DRRM planning and Early Warning System were also done in another 3 municipalities in the province of Zamboanga del Norte. Resource pooling/counterparting to enable a participatory process using 3D mapping as a tool and to building the capacity of municipal employees from various departments were used as the approach.

The passage of the DRRM law in the country really helped in encouraging local governments in investing on DRR. However, our experience showed that even before the law was passed in 2010, we were already able to engage local governments (in 2009) when we were able to show them the advantage of integrating DRR in their development planning and programming. In the case of DRRM mainstreaming, because it is not a separate thing but will be mainstreamed in the plan that the Local governments units (LGU) have to deliver as well, this become a value addition then. The financial and technical assistance from ECOWEB (thru the support of the Uk-based Catholic Agency for Overseas Development or CAFOD) was of course a very much welcome input since it also means a big help to them in the preparation/updating of their Comprehensive Development Plan (CDP) and Comprehensive Land Use Plan (CLUP) - the plans usually not prepared in a participatory way also because of lack of financial and technical capacities of the LGUs.

After major disasters have hit various parts of Mindanao in the recent years, more LGUs have become interested to conduct DRR activities as well. But, as shared by our partner LGU in Josefina, Zamboanga del Sur, her counterpart mayors have been asking her to liase for extension of help from ECOWEB as well. Lack of funding and technical capacity were concerns raised. And since ECOWEB have limitation of funding as well as of this time for support, we have not able to respond to the increasing request so far. Other LGU partners in other provinces in Zamboanga del Norte, Lanao del Norte and Misamis Oriental also express request to sustain our engagement with them on DRR and for us to expand to other municipalities nearby. They would be willing to invest, only they could not cover everything including ECOWEB's technical services due to limitation of resources also.

From this experience, we have identified important factors in making participatory DRR to happen in local governments: 1) technical assistance is provided at no cost or less cost to the LGUs for LGUs could then make use of their resources to allow engagement of citizens or their participation in the whole process; 2) counterpart funding is made available either from national government or international agency; 3) value addition of the intervention is being felt by the local government that is worth their investment - not a separate thing but integrated or mainstreamed in other plans and program; 4) support of constituents is seen that people value their participation into the process. Enabling laws and the impact of disaster (own and in other areas) become a motivating factors as well.

Hope this contributes to the discussion.

Best regards,

Regina "Nanette" Antequisa
    Executive Director
    ECOWEB, Philippines
    www.ecoweb.ph

• En Nicaragua, en una diversidad de niveles, las formas de preparativos para promover la reducción del riesgo de desastres, varía de acuerdo a las políticas definidas en el quehacer institucional de las partes (instituciones de Gobierno, ONGs, Organizaciones de Sociedad Civil, Municipalidades, Comunidades y Localidades), de cara a las intervenciones que de acuerdo al perfil de desempeño puedan realizar.

En esa riqueza de voluntades, opiniones, rescate de saberes ancestrales se ha concluido que las acciones deben ser de manera colectiva y que en la actuación debe participarse con corresponsabilidad.

Las limitaciones muchas veces son de percepción, otras por desconocimiento y muchas por la falta de análisis crítico que debe realizarse en los componentes del Riesgo, pues se critica sin fundamento sobre los tópicos en que no se coincide; en ocasiones Actores directos perciben la situación similar a personas comunitarias, que la sostenibilidad de las intervenciones se sustenta en aspectos de aseguramiento económico-financiero, obviando muchas veces la capacidad de las personas de innovar, de creatividad, de responsabilidad para desarrollar acciones con eficiencia, efectividad y lograr mayor eficacia.
    Definitivamente mejorando la colaboración

La falta de mecanismos legales e institucionales que dificultan especialmente los gobiernos locales para actuar con eficacia en la reducción de sus riesgos. En cuanto a la descentralización y la desconcentración del poder de los gobiernos nacionales y locales, muchos intentos se han hecho, pero pocos han puesto en práctica.

En Nicaragua, los mecanismos están establecidos, con la limitante de un débil monitoreo y seguimiento de las acciones. La centralización y concentración aún persiste, aunque como voluntad política el discurso refiere que deben descentralizarse y desconcentrarse los recursos hacia las localidades para mejorar su actuación. La poca participación ciudadana no permite incidir más enérgicamente para revertir esta situación.

En Nicaragua, existe un Sistema Nacional de Inversión Pública, que refiere deben desarrollarse mecanismos de reducción de riesgos de desastres para su protección. El acompañamiento de la Universidad como Entidad de Educación Superior para inducir en el manejo de información y empoderamiento del tema, ha sido relevante para la información de la población, debido a prácticas educativas desde algunas carreras (ej.: Arquitectura, Ingeniería, otras mediante Módulos de formación integral con el tema reflejado en tópicos de Ambiente, Derechos, Salud; y, en otras de acuerdo a los perfiles de carreras sean éstas públicas ó privadas, ya que también consideran el enfoque de la Gestión del riesgo para reducir desastres.

Plataformas como La Alianza Nicaragüense Ante el Cambio Climático (ANACC), la Mesa Nacional para la Gestión del Riesgo-MNGR ha debatido sobre RRD y medidas de adaptación ante los efectos adversos del CC, en esfuerzos conjuntos con el Consejo Nacional de Universidades (CNU), Movimiento Comunal, Organizaciones Eclesiásticas, Centros de Investigación y Organizaciones Internacionales y de la Cooperación, desarrollando Foros de Educación en GR en un Debate, como una forma de llegar a las poblaciones debido a que delegaciones del interior del país acompañan estos espacios.

Este ha sido un aspecto valorado como sensibilización, formación y capacitación, fortalecimiento en la información, educación y comunicación, potenciando un flujo e intercambio de información entre Entidades relacionadas que se da aunque con cierta reserva.

la asignación presupuestaria según el Instituto de Estudios Económicos de Políticas Públicas IEEPP, no ha sido acorde a necesidades planteadas para Sectores críticos (Salud, Educación), limitando las acciones en los territorios o desde el nivel nacional, para potenciar acciones o procesos iniciados. La cooperación internacional apoyando estos esfuerzos, juega un rol importante permitiendo continuidad en las acciones o alargando plazos que pueden mejorar la efectividad en las comunidades, con proyectos que llevan inversión a las comunidades y de esa forma mejoran su economía, aumentando su desarrollo.
  • Dear Colleagues and DRR Practioners,

DRR has been a global consideration phenomena in the recent decades as the frequency of natural disasters have been accelerating. In this regard risk reduction has been the focus of the DRR agents and other stakeholders. But there is a continuous need of strengthening the efforts to reduce disaster impacts on the lives and livelihoods of the people. Currently many initiatives have been in place aiming to reduce the disasters risks under the UNISDR. The Hyogo framework for Action (HFA) in this regard is a milestone and many disaster prone countries are striving their best to cope with the impacts of disasters. The major issues and challenges so far faced by the DRR agents have already been identified from the lesson learning of the various DRR projects worldwide.
    • Lack of policies, its formulation and implementations
    • Lack of knowledge, expertise and coping capacities of the targeted communities and institutions
    • Will and commitment of DRR Agents and targeted community/beneficiaries
    • Insufficient resources and budgets
    As far the key question in this dialogue is concern I am of the opinion that, the role of local government and institutions is crucial in this regards, until the local government which is directly coordinating with the targeted DRR scope, can be effective, the actual outcomes cannot be achieved.
    I am refereeing project outcomes of FCOUS Humanitarian Assistance Pakistan, on school safety, in this program all the local stakeholders including the education department, district officers, schools community and community members are taken into the coordination and planning. All the heads of the concern local government institutions and admisntarations were involved throughout the project life. Finally a school safety strategy was formulated by involving all the stakeholders and the provincial government approves the school safety strategy document which is in place in all the projects school. through this progmm, all the schools have been assessed based on the geological and hydro-metrological hazards and future risk, cacapicity building on school safety measures conducted and all the teachers and students are trained, DRR related activities are streamlined and curriculum enrichment was made, and after the completion of the project DRR activities are practiced in all schools and the progme has been integrated in the Annual School development Plan.
    Still some important issues existed which are considered lesson learning from the project, are,
    • There is need to allocate budget to each school to provide the emergency and future DRR initiatives.
    • Risk anticipation before construction of any development projects like, school building etc should be conducted
    • Deliverance of responsibilities and Will Power of DRR Agents
    By concluding my remarks I would suggest that,
    • The local administration should have a proper understating of their geographical area , the natural hazards and impacts, all the line departments should be given proper awareness regarding DRR,
    • Allocation of budget to each line department like, Water and power, road and buildings, police, municipal department so that each should have responsibility of their own domain if any disruption or damages made by any disasters.
    • The role of the line departments should define
    • Risk anticipation studies/ Feasibility studies regarding the Geo-hazards should be taken into account before any development project
    • Integration of DRR into Development should be emphasized
    • Codes, policies and laws should be made and check and balance and quality insurance of the development projects should be in place.
    • In the project area the target community or the beneficiaries should the strong stakeholders.

Regards

Sher Wali
    Geographer-Goe hazard Assessment
    FOCUS Humanitarian Assistance For Pakistan

• In the DRR context, it's not enough to focus on risk today, economic development and - last but not least - climate change do render the challenge more complex but also offer opportunities to re-frame the challenge. That's why I propose an economic approach to Climate Adaptation (ECA) - with the aim to (help) shape climate-resilient development.

Economic in the sense of an optimal allocation of (scarce or at least limited) resources, and adaptation with a view to strengthen adaptive capacity.

Adaptation measures are available to make societies more resilient to the impacts of climate change. But decision makers need the facts to identify the most cost-effective investments. Climate adaptation is an urgent priority for the custodians of national and local economies, such as finance ministers and mayors - as well as to leaders in the private sector. Such decision makers ask:
    - What is the potential climate-related loss to our economies and societies over the coming decades?
    - How much of that loss can we avert, with what measures?
    - What investment will be required to fund those measures - and will the benefits of that investment outweigh the costs?

The Economics of Climate Adaptation (ECA) methodology provides decision makers with a fact base to answer these questions in a systematic way. It enables them to understand the impact of climate change on their economies - and identify actions to minimize that impact at the lowest cost to society. It therefore allows decision makers to integrate adaptation with economic development and sustainable growth.

More information can be found in the following documents:
    Test case on Maharashtra, India | focus on drought risk to agriculture (2 pages)
    http://media.swissre.com/documents/Economics_of_Climate_Adaptation_India_Factsheet.pdf
    Test case on Hull, UK | focus on risk from multiple hazards (2 pages)
    http://media.swissre.com/documents/Economics_of_Climate_Adaption_UK_Factsheet.pdf
    The comprehensive report:
    http://media.swissre.com/documents/rethinking_shaping_climate_resilent_development_en.pdf
    Eight test cases in the Caribbean region:
    http://media.swissre.com/documents/ECA+Brochure-Final.pdf
    ECA movie:
    http://www.swissre.com/rethinking/climate_and_natural_disaster_risk/shaping_climate_resilient_development.html
    and even more material in the documentation of my lecture course at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH): Prof. Dr. Reto Knutti, ETH & Dr. David N. Bresch, Swiss Re: Climate Change Uncertainty and Risk: from Probabilistic Forecasts to Economics of Climate Adaptation. The course introduces the concepts of predictability, probability, uncertainty and probabilistic risk modelling and their application to climate modeling and the economics of climate adaptation. Further details and all (!) presentations and exercises:
    http://www.iac.ethz.ch/edu/courses/master/modules/climate_risk/2012
  • Dear Friends,
    I would like to share my experience as follows:
    Global settings or Climate Change issues have created enough visibility in the international community. It is a vast subject and temporarily and spatially much greater issue than DRR, as it is supposed. Huge fund is generated to uphold this issue and to create awareness among people, policy makers and international leaders.
    DRR issues do not create ripples in the mind of decision makers in that way. But this does not mean that DRR issues have limited effect on civilization. The problem lies in the fact that we still do not visualize CCA, DRR and Development in the same framework of nature’s dynamics. Humanitarian response of disasters has its own visibility and thus importance in the mind of popular leaders as this is a showcase item for them. But DRR has no immediate visibility and the fruits of DARR develop in the womb of future.
    The investment in DRR is like investment in a share, the risk of which is not known, thus the return. First, the investor has to make future valuation of a present investment, or present value of a future cost. If the investor is an elected person, he would calculate the time period of return of the investment and compare it with the time period of his tenure in that post. Secondly, if the investment in DRR does not get its proper justification, and the risk for which the reduction measures are taken, is not defined carefully, lack of perception of risk will arouse questions regarding investment. Thirdly, where resources for investment in burning issues are scares, no local bodies think about investment for a cause which get no immediate result.
    With these considerations, the process of sensitizing the urban and local authorities may be discussed .
    It is seen that when a disaster occurs, people become sensitive to it and media tries to capture the issues and capitalize it. This is normal. People’s memory is short lived and thus also the media’s concentration on a particular issue. As for media, it always addresses disaster management issues as outsiders. It has other role also – as an insider, as a stakeholder of disaster management who can carry out its responsibility by creating awareness and advocacy to local administrations. Also, international community use not to pay attention if the immediate response activities are over. Only the humanitarian activists and the local administration in the field work for the affected people. Again, for a country of population more than ten billion, the suffering of ten thousand does not float for a long time in the surface of central administrative activities. This is one of the important aspect for sensitizing the local/urban body responsible for disaster management.
    Many INGO programme on DRM at community level had ran successfully in the funding period. But the practices generated through these programmes do not last long in the institutional memory of local bodies as these are not properly mainframed. Only the local communities are sensitized and they try to replicate some practices with their limited resources. But this is a great learning. Continuous awareness generation process has a deep rooted effect on community. With the help of knowledgeable outsiders / facilitators this can create a pressure group which can advocate the local administration to integrate DRR into development works.
    In pursuing community based bottom approaches vigorously, and following the guidance of the donor agency blindfolded, the humanitarian organisations delineate ‘top-down’ approach. This has created a gap between community based plan and institutional mainframe plan. There should be a two-way approach. Community, with the help of local administration would prepare the plan. The local administration then forwards it in the upward direction. It would then be appraised/ reviewed critically at decision making level and a formal plan would be approved along with placement of fund and guidance regarding technical knowhow and procedures. In this process, local/urban body would have the ownership at the time of implementation. This will automatically create motivation for awareness at the local level administration. Otherwise, awareness without any ownership given, it will not last long.
    There should also be a supportive legislative/ administrative framework and governance for disaster management. The framework should include local administration in a formal way. The plan of action from top to bottom should be laid down. In this framework, the role of local body should be drawn upon carefully. Giving the proper weightage to the local body, as the local body is that administrative organ that works together with the community. There should also be a proper monitoring system and also some binding regulations, with reality check, not only the certificate for fund utilization.
    The literates and scholars of a society mainly create the opinion which has impact on decision makers/ policy makers particularly at local level. For the last few years we are involved in creating awareness among the people who have little voice. This awareness has its long lasting merit as this creates capacity among people who directly face the disaster. But in this process we do not try to involve scholarly people of different fields. Disaster is a great leveler. It does not discriminate among literate and illiterate. Scholars have huge potential to contribute to the local level planning, advocacy and to research and development in the context of their locality in the whole process of disaster management. They can create opinion, pressure at local level. But the quality of sensitization programme must be commensurate with the level of their knowledge. It is the task of the global Disaster Management Community to generate such a programme that no one can alienate himself from the activity of DRR, CCA and sustainable development.
    There are many ‘good practices’ and ‘lesson learned’ activities. There are also examples that some communities and local/urban bodies replicate these in their development process. DRMP/CBDP/CBDM/ CBDRR/CBDRM/CMDRR etc. create awareness, capacity building etc. but compare to the vastness of the issue, and the examples are very numbered. Disaster Management is not a separate sector, and as the objective of social development is to reach the last mile, local/ urban body is the medium for sustainable development, each sector should contribute to integrate the DRR in their activity for sustainable development. This is particularly true for those who are in charge for community development through local administration.
    Regards,
    Himadri
  • Motivation: Local authorities should know about risk management for disaster reduction in public-private investment to implement the mechanisms in their territory, protecting. Must be induced in the subject and understand their major role as decision maker to avoid that once past events, investments have been affected, emplacen in the same place. Example: In Nicaragua during the 1992 Tsunami, a private investment suffered severe damage (partial destruction), yet was built in the same place (near the lake shore), could ensure that the legislation did not exist which mandates the limits of construction in coastal areas and this is happening because such acts, however currently GR processes in public-private investment are a bit slow.
    Commitment: - The joint is as essential as the coordination and channels for the flow and exchange of information between the parties the benefit of the people waiting on Response Care. Is important evidence of the involvement of the International Cooperation for logistic assurance interventions in different sectors of intervention. In Nicaragua, through the National Humanitarian Network for Disaster Response, Programs UN system, strengthen the capacities of the National System for Prevention, Mitigation and Disaster-Response SINAPRED to provide and ensure that assistance provide humanitarian communities and localities.
    - "How can we improve the participation of informed citizens groups with local governments for effective practice risk reduction?
    participation: communities, as they are trained, trained, trained and motivated, ensure the integrity of the subject in their localities, achieved by its convening the organized presence to participate in and influence decisions to benefit their families and communities .
    Best practices: they must replicate their success once known to learn from mistakes, mainly and not do again, just learning leads to systematize processes to ensure scientific and technical knowledge and popular in the coming generations and generational low rights approach, equity, gender, equal opportunity, transparency and proper accountability and results back to communities under interventions.- Atta.
  • Dear All,

I feel that urban risk reduction is the very crucial issue in current scenario. And this needs to be continuously in focus. In my Municipal Corporation we have initiated this program as Urban Disaster Management program. We prepare and detail action plan on the needed 10 point for the urban disaster management and submit it to the state government. It is approved by the government and we got funds to implement it in the corporation area. As our city is prone to various disaster we are very keen to keep this issue on fire and that why we have started this program. I feel that all Urban Local Bodies should concentrate on this subject, they need to plan on their own at ULB level and make the community ready to face such critical situations. Community Based Disaster management is the key to address this issue.

Prasad sankpal,
    Disaster Management Officer,
    Kolhapur Municipal Corporation,
    Maharashtra,
    India.
  • Dear All,
    First of all, let me thank all of you for your comments and suggestions and to UNISDR for hosting this dialogue, as this highlights the importance of local government and governance on DRR.

Second, I was quite impressed by a lot of comments from all of you, it has only been a few days since the launch of this dialogue and we now have received 24 feedback (at the time when i was writing this) and many more to come.

What also impressed me is not only that the comments came from different stakeholders, but also the content, experiences and ideas that have been shared.
    It is a challenge to summarize all insights in only a few sentences. However, here is an attempt and apologies if I may have missed some of your thoughts.

(A) “How to motivate local government leaders to invest in DRR and resilience”

1) Start and directly connect with the people: Use day-to-day situations and link them with the disaster resilience and preparedness for communicating with the people. DRR should not been seen as stand alone strategy and activities. But it should have real connection with life of the citizen and their needs.

2) Raise awareness among the leaders on the importance of DRR and its integration into the overall planning and development activities.

3) Involve different stakeholders including the most vulnerable groups at the early stage of development – from planning to implementation: To have a multi-stakeholders planning system in place to create a comprehensive planning agenda on DRR with the clear timeline to achieve, ways to implement, resources (finance, human) needed, indicators to measure, and a set of priority issues.

4) Improve dialogues – horizontally and vertically: Dialogues (also necessary coordination) between national and local governments, local governments and communities, local governments with other local governments, especially the surrounding administrative bodies, and politicians, community/citizens groups, private companies, think tanks and/or research institutions. Several ways to enhance the dialogue can be initiated, such as open forum, local government’s platform, etc.

5) Build the capacity of local governments and equip them with know-how on DRR, including building codes and integrated planning and ways and laws to implement urban planning and disaster resilience and ecological design.

6) Allocate funds for local governments and or programmes that encourage local investments, such as matching funds. There is also suggestion that more funding from the developed world needs to be enhanced to either local governments and the impoverish community as there is connection between disaster and poverty. The question is perhaps how to make use the funds in effective ways.

(B) “How to ensure what national governments have committed is implemented at the local level?”

1) Have clear assessment on the national and local capacities in DRR: This is necessary to understand the capacity and resource gaps to come up with an adaptive learning project at the local level. A team of national platform organizations and local working groups should be established by local authorities.

2) Have realistic approach and real setting of national actions to improve DRR at local level. Creation of a local governance measures on DRR at the national level is required with the participation of experts, planners and other stakeholders.

(C) "How can we enhance engagement of informed citizen groups with local governments for effective risk reduction practice?

1) Raise awareness of local community of different groups including disabled, women on DRR and motivate them for negotiation with local governments for persistent demand on DRR.
    2) Provide the platform for citizens groups to engage with local government and institutionalize it.
    3) Identify strategies, activities/actions, the stakeholders (who may support or oppose)
    4) Discuss and identify the resources that community may need to implement DRR and preparedness measures

There is also a proposal for the need to have the knowledgeable Emergency Managers at all levels, national, local government and the community levels. Another comment is to have the integration of DRR initiatives with all UN agencies. I assume UNISDR has been working intensively to vision UN as one roof agency.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. If you have any suggestions how we should start from our own country/city/locality, please share it with us. For those who have not sent their opinions, please do write to us. We have only a few days to go to complete our dialogue. This is the chance to have your and our voices heard.

My warm regards,
    Bernadia

• Dear all, excellent comments and summary.

I am still curious if any of you could provide some experience on how to provide better incentives for local government to prioritize disaster risk reduction and resilience. And hence invest resources - how to institutionalize the subject at local government level.

Does any of you have any specific case to share?
  • Dear All
    DRR is quite new concept for at local goverment leaders. Most of them do not yet think DRR issues as priority to develop the community. There are many lack of economy, empowering. But there is still hope. I think, initiatives to reinforce official institution and cultural approaches are something usefull
This discussion has concluded and posts can no longer be made.