Australia - government
Entries for the 2012 Resilient Australia Awards are now open and Executive Director of Security and Emergency Management at Justice and Community Safety, Baden McMaster, is encouraging Canberrans to nominate individuals or organisations who they feel have made a made a difference to disaster resilience within our community.
The Resilient Australia Awards are an Australian Government initiative sponsored by the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department, in conjunction with States and Territories. They recognise innovative practices and achievements across the nation that are making our communities safer, stronger, more resilient and better prepared to manage any emergency situation.
"When natural disasters such as bushfires and severe storms have affected our city in the past, we have rallied as a community and rebuilt, often using innovative ideas to enhance our disaster resilience capabilities," Mr McMaster said.
"These awards are the perfect way to recognise those members of our community who have worked on, or are currently working on projects that have or will make Canberra even more disaster resilient," he said.
There are seven award categories based broadly on the type of organisation applying:
1. State and Territory, including government-owned business enterprises
2. Local Government, single and collective subcategories
3. Volunteer organisations and community groups (where membership is substantially voluntary)
4. Private sector organisations
5. Education and training bodies, including vocational training and research
6. Projects developed and / or managed by youth (under 18)
7. Federal agencies, including government-owned business enterprises; or projects which are cross jurisdictional; or projects that are of national significance.
"Entries are open to any individual or organisation," Mr McMaster said.
"Individuals who enter on behalf of their organisation are required to ensure the entry is made with the endorsement of the organisation's senior authorised officer, such as Chief Executive Officer."
Resilient Australia Award winners are recognised throughout the emergency management sector for their outstanding achievement
For more information on the 2012 Resilient Australia Awards and to download an entry form visit the Emergency Management in Australia website www.em.gov.au or call the ACT Coordinator on 6205 8196.
Matt Morrissey: +62 059186 email@example.com
Ali Jaques: + 62077173 firstname.lastname@example.org