The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a world-wide movement assisting victims of conflict and disaster and people affected by social or health related crisis. The Red Cross/ Red Crescent helps vulnerable people without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross participates in international disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Red Cross / Red Crescent movement.
Within the frame of its Joint Recovery Programme in Haiti, the German Red Cross is currently looking for a Project Manager in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction (to be deployed as soon as possible).
Purpose of the position
The Project Manager in Disaster Risk Reduction works as part of the German Red Cross Delegation and is accountable, under the direction and guidance of the Head of Office and GRC Headquarters (Desk Officer, DRR Advisor), for leading and managing the disaster risk reduction operations and activities in the country, covering the key tasks and responsibilities set out below. The Project Manager in Disaster Risk Reduction also works in a wide range of response preparedness activities, support the strengthening and coordination of the NS’s capacity with the specific aim of minimizing the vulnerability of the affected population.
Key roles / responsibilities
• Support the GRC Delegation as DRR Focal Point (incl. participation in relevant coordination meetings with partners and donors) and take on an advisory role in setting up and integrating DRR and CCA components into GRC programming
• Implement, monitor, evaluate and report on the already ongoing DRR project in Leogane (integral part of the overall GRC/AutRC joint Recovery Programme)
• Implement strategies and methodologies to support DRR activities of the Haitian Red Cross
• Liaise and maintain a close working relationship with different components and departments of the Recovery Programme (i.e. WASH, construction, livelihood, logistics and finance)
• Liaise and maintain a close working relationship with different government departments, NGOs and civil society to ensure a smooth linkage between GRC and other organisations on DRR related matters
• Manage training needs of staff members involved in DRR and be responsible for the proper use of training modules, including the preparation of training materials
• Responsible for proper budget implementation and control of the ongoing DRR project in Leogane
• Perform regular narrative and financial reporting in accordance to donor and partner requirement, as well as internal GRC reporting regulations.
• Provide (technical) support in elaborating DRR and CCA proposals for different donors in close cooperation with the Haitian Red Cross (e.g. German Federal Foreign Office, German Ministry for Development Cooperation, DIPECHO)
• Training of Haitian Red Cross programme staff in community-based DRR (CBDRR) skills, project cycle management, CCA and participatory M&E
• Minimum 3 years of professional experience in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction
• Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
• Good understanding of key natural disaster risk reduction issues and linkages to relief and development programmes
• Disaster Management skills (risk analysis and evaluation including hazard analysis and vulnerability analysis, prevention and mitigation and preparedness)
• Experience in implementing and managing donor funded projects
• Experience in cooperating with local organisations / capacity building
• Knowledge of Red Cross / Red Crescent principles and willingness to adhere to them
• Ability to train and guide local community volunteers
• Skills in negotiation and persuasion, advocacy and for mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
• Willingness to work in a non-metropolitan setting
• Assertive, with high intercultural sensitivity
• Readiness to go on assignment without partner / family posting
• Certified ability to work under tropical conditions (medical check)
• Very good written and oral English; knowledge of German and French would be a strong asset
• Excellent computer skills (Windows XP, spread sheets, word-processing, databases and other programmes)