Major duties and responsibilities
Specifically, the Job holder shall perform the following tasks:
• Assist the Head of Division in the overall management of the activities of the Climate Change and Desertification Control Unit;
• Assist in preparation of reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit, in consultation with the Head of Division;
• Assist in formulation of appropriate strategies, policies and plans of action related to land degradation, forestry and desertification in Africa;
• Promote sustainable and collaborative forest management in and amongst Member States and Transboundary Forest Management.
• Build awareness on land degradation, forestry and desertification control issues in Africa and support project implementation on adaptation and mitigation actions;
• Promote and support the development of African common positions in the meetings of the UN Convention to combat Desertification (UNCCD);
• Promote the work of the African Forest Forum and African common positions on the issue of Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) and REDD plus Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) and Land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) activities relating to carbon stocks;
• Liaises with Member States, RECs, and relevant Stakeholders including International Organizations, Development Partners on issues of climate change and desertification control;
• Ensure Policy harmonization on various positions on key issues such as REDD and REDD+, AFOLU and LULUCF activities, desertification control under negotiations in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) processes;
• Coordination of various efforts on desertification, ensuring linkages and synergies with complementarities of different initiatives, sectors and collaborations;
• Ensure effective coordination and implementation at continental and regional levels;
• Ensure the development of a Resource Mobilization Strategy with donor coordination for forestry, land degradation and Desertification Control Programmes;
• Ensure networking and facilitation of peer reviews, information sharing and exchange;
• Promote studies and researches on local indigenized technologies on mitigation and adaptation measures to forestry and land degradation in Africa including increased participation of Africa Member States in global carbon market as well as foster collaboration among Member States to combat drought and desertification;
• Ensure better coordination with other Regional and United Nations conventions;
• Promote publication of simplified guidelines and fact sheets on the scientific, political and economic aspects of forestry, land degradationand desertification control in Africa.
• Support production and submission of periodic reports of activities of the Unit;
• Support the Commission in its coordination efforts of global forestry, land degradation and desertification talks and negotiations; and
• Undertake any other duties assigned on forestry, land degradation and desertification control.
Qualifications and experience required
• Candidates must have at least a Post-graduate (Masters) degree in the Environmental or Natural Sciences (i.e. Water Resources Management, Forestry, Land Degradation, Biology, Botany, Environmental Technology) and/ or equivalent discipline.
• A qualification in project management and negotiation skills (recognised diploma or certificate) would be an added advantage.
Professional experience required
• Candidates must have at least ten (10) years of appropriate experience in Senior Management position, including experience in design and development of policies and strategies; and management of international organizations.
• Strong experience on issues of Land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF,) Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) and REDD plus Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) and Land use, land-use change and forestry (LULUCF) activities
• Substantial experience with international, Intergovernmental, regional and national policy processes related to multilateral environment agreements, forestry, desertificationand degradation.
• Knowledge of the on-going regional and global climate change, desertification and disaster risk reduction processes is an asset with a track record of diplomatic negotiations.
Other relevant skills
• Strong experience in public sector with related experience dealing with private sector and civil society bodies.
• Familiarity with international and regional policy processes related to climate change and desertification.
• Computer literacy.
• Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring.
• Management experience, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent drafting and reporting skills.
• Good planning and organizational skills.
• Conscientious and efficient in observing deadlines and achieving results.
• Takes accountability for goals and challenges.
• Effective and distinct communication ability with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to defend, explain with tact and diplomacy difficult positions addressing key policy issues.
• Ability to work under pressure and collaboratively with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues of different nationalities and culture backgrounds, in order to achieve organizational goals.
• Track record of excellent time management and ability to meet tight deadlines.
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working language(s) would be an added advantage.
Candidates should preferably between 35 and 50 years old.