Purpose of position
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will assist the Chief of Party (COP) in ensuring overall coordination, implementation, and supervision of all WV Bangladesh CREL resources and operations. S/he will have day-to-day responsibility for the management of all program activities and staff, including long-term and short-term personnel. Key areas of focus will include staff capacity building, monitoring technical soundness, oversight of program activities, and reporting.
The DCOP should embrace the shared USG/WV vision for the project and effectively manage available financial and human resources to make that vision a reality. The Deputy will be familiar with the technical components of the project and the support services they require and be able to represent the project in public presentations of the projects. The DCOP will support the COP in ensuring achievement of program objective and will serve in the role of Acting Chief of Party when the Chief of Party is out of the country.
• Develop a comprehensive operational plan and ensure coordination, implementation and supervision of all program activities.
• Supervise the day-to-day activities of CREL, ensuring that all program intermediate results are met through proper detailed component planning, staffing, and results-driven implementation.
• Oversee progress in CREL activities’ implementation, through regular field visits and staff meetings.
• Coordinate with the financial, logistics, and other staff for efficient support to CREL goals.
• Participate actively in planning within the central office and regions where CREL is being implemented.
• Ensure that the program is implemented according to its design, quality standards, and schedule.
• Maintain program technical quality and donor compliance
• Strengthen linkages between CREL and other WV projects
• Monitor all sectoral and management functions (including the monitoring system) to provide leadership and technical guidance to improve overall operations.
• Work with COP to evaluate program performance and adjust management plan as needed to improve achievement by conducting surveys, operations research studies, and rapid appraisals.
• Establish and maintain effective project communication systems and knowledge management, including reporting, assessment, and evaluation. Work with COP to submit to WVUS timely, accurate, and professional program reports, including lessons learned and best practices, which meet donor requirements and WV standards.
• Coordinate the preparation of monthly/quarterly reports and ensure quality and timely submission to the COP.
• Develop in consultation with the COP a staff training plan to continuously reinforce the staff capacity and upgrade their skills to handle relevant tasks.
• Support each employee in preparing his/her development plan.
• Assist the COP in supervising sub-grantees and contractors, contributing to their capacity building as needed, and ensuring the quality of their work and their compliance with Donor and WVB and WVUS requirements.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
• Excellent computer skills (word, databases, spreadsheets, etc) are required
• Excellent communication skills in English (FSI level IV), both written and orally
• Communication skills in Bangla is a plus
• Excellent interpersonal skills are required
• Demonstrated strong management skills are required
• Availability to travel minimum 40% of time in country and overseas
• Possesses knowledge of the role of gender in natural resources management and global climate change.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills in English, sound project management experience, and experience working with government institutions, business and regulation agencies
• Knowledge of Bangladesh environment sector and prior work experience in Bangladesh is preferred.
• A minimum 10 years of international experience in implementing natural resource management biodiversity or climate change adaptation projects in developing countries, preferably South Asia/Bangladesh.