The roundtable will track the ways the private sector employs the same principles as governments when it comes to disaster risk management strategies and use of legal and regulatory frameworks to anticipate, prepare for and manage shocks.
The panel discussion will address the following key questions:
- How far does the business community adopt risk management principles for business continuity?
- Does the private sector see disaster risk reduction as a business opportunity? What are the key practical examples?
- How far has the private sector innovated risk management for resilience?
- What incentives or enabling environment does your business have today/and need in the future to make investments more resilient via risk management? What role does and can corporate sector play in bridging gap between the government and NGOs?
- Ms Tauhida Gitau, Manager (Operations), Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi
- Mr Isaac Ng'aru, Partner and Risk Consultant, Ngaru & Associates
- Mr Joseph Wanyingi, Director, Strategy and Business Development, Transglobal Consultants Ltd
- Moderator: Dr Animesh Kumar, Deputy Head of Office, UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
This session is part of the East African Humanitarian Summit (EAHS) 2016 running from 7 to 8 April 2016.