ORGANIZER(S): Disaster Management Institute of Southern Africa
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 12 - 13 Sep 2012 Location: South Africa (Limpopo) Venue: Karibu Leisure Resort and Conference Centre/NMN Grand Hotel
Taking up the challenge: Readiness for risk reduction and response
The 26th annual conference of the Disaster Management Institute of Southern Africa (DMISA), a non-profit professional association for Disaster Management and Disaster Risk Management practitioners in Southern Africa.
The UNISDR “Resilient Cities: My City is Getting Ready” campaign challenges those interested in managing disasters and disaster risk, but when are we ready to respond and when are we ready to reduce risk? As we rise to these challenges we need to be ready – ready to not only talk about risk reduction but to actually implement and follow through on risk reduction, and ready to respond to possible impacts when risk becomes reality and damage projections become damage assessments.
- Creating and sustaining resilient cities.
- Dealing with refugees and internally displaced persons in areas of conflict and social crisis across the globe.
- Reducing the risk of fires in vulnerable informal settlements.
- Figuring out how to address the possible effects of natural and human-induced climate change.
- Protecting communities from hazardous materials and technologies.
- Responding to pandemics and curing communicable diseases.
This and more will be discussed at the latest DMISA conference, the biggest annual Disaster Management conference in Africa.
Event website: http://www.disaster.co.za/index.php?id=21&submenu=21
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/26570