The ICLEI World Congress 2012 takes place every three years and provides mayors, local government officials, representatives of international institutions and other partners opportunities for peer exchange, knowledge-sharing, capacity building and on-site visits and exhibits. ICLEI is supported by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT), the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the UN International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UN/ISDR), the World Bank and others.
• To be addressed during the conference include
• Green urban economy;
• Changing citizens, changing cities;
• Greening events;
• Food security and how can biodiversity protection be integrated into municipal planning and decision making.
• Resilient community and city
- Low-risk cities show low vulnerability to climate change, natural and industrial disasters and economic shocks.
- Climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction planning by all Member local governments will be key to facilitating sustainable communities.
What is included in the event fee
The host city of Belo Horizonte has waived the registration fee for all participants in order to enable attendance of our Members and Partners. It has in addition made limited funding available to assist Members from Africa, South Asia and South East Asia in covering their attendance costs.