The IFRC commits to the following actions to reduce climate change related economic and social damage:
a) Deepen our engagement with civil society organizations with a view of developing more effective linkages between DRR and climate change in our plans and activities
b) Strengthen our humanitarian diplomacy on DRR and climate change with sub regional bodies such as ASEAN and SAARC especially to advocate on the development and implementation of effective disaster laws and regulations.
c) Encourage stakeholders to increase their commitment to long-term sustainable disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation programming.
d) Use scientific and climate risk information for anticipatory and adaptive actions at all levels and across timescales.
e) Prioritize the support of National Society engagement in National DRR/CCA platforms
· 15 Asian National Societies have formalized agreements with their respective governments and play a key role in the National and regional DRR platform and/or DRR coordination mechanisms
· 8 Asian National Societies will have supported their government to review and strengthen their legal frameworks for disaster risk reduction and management
· Number of National RCRC Societies engaged with the National DRR platforms.
· Number of National RCRC Societies undertaking projects with their governments to review the implementation of legal frameworks.
· regular national level reporting, case studies, publications, periodic reporting in the ministerial and other DRR events
Short- term by 2016; Medium term by 2018; Long term by 2020
Mr Jagan Chapagain
Director, Asia Pacific, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies