The purpose of this framework is to support better strategic management of risks associated with natural hazards. It does this through providing a series of tasks that support the allocation of risk ownership as part of strategic planning activities. This framework is not intended to replace current risk processes, but to enhance and add value to what is already there.
Objectives of this framework are to:
- Support more effective strategic planning and management of natural hazard risk through better identification and uptake of risk ownership.
- Identify key risk owners at the beginning of the risk process and include them as an active part of decision making.
- Provide a companion process that uses values as a starting point for risk assessments to provide a pathway for better management and implementation of systemic risk.
- Assist the development of arrangements that support longer term activities such as the building of resilience and the shorter term activities that support this.
- Support development of new knowledge and the collation of new types of data to support strategic decision making.