Document / Publication
India - government
In this publication the Government of Tamil Nadu gives details regarding rehabilitation and the reconstruction programmes undertaken to revive coastal communities affected by the Tsunami in 2004. With a view to reduce the vulnerability of the people to future calamities, the following specific measures were taken:
- the houses being built have disaster resistant features to face any calamity including earthquake;
- these houses are insured for 10 years against 14 hazards;
- shelter belt and mangrove plantations have been restored and improved throughout the coast;
- considerable emphasis has been given for strengthening coastal roads, bridges, health care facilities and water supply which can prove to be life saving in times of emergencies;
- apart from rebuilding hundreds of schools, scholarship assistance is being given for ten years so as to keep the focus on education;
- a large number of self-help groups have been formed and assisted so as to broad base livelihoods and increase incomes.
- the government has continued the focus on the UNDP supported Disaster Risk Management Program which will update village level disaster management plans and train communities to be prepared.