At the leading edge of geo-spatial and information technology, RMSI develops innovative solutions that integrate geographic information with niche business applications. RMSI's success hinges on its unparalleled domain expertise, specifically in disaster risks assessment, catastrophic risk modeling, climate change risk modeling, and its unique application of geo-spatial technologies.
Disaster Reduction Goal
Developing Innovative solutions (using scientific methods) covering the entire spectrum of disaster risk reduction (DRR) cycle, with due emphasis on pre-disaster phase.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
Response & Recovery
Awareness & Preparedness
Capacity Building and Training
Membership in Key Networks
Understanding Risk (http://community.understandrisk.org/)
Global Risk Forum (www.grforum.org)
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
RMSI has successfully delivered and working on several project encompassing various DRR components such as Hazard Assessment, Exposure Development, Vulnerability Assessment, Risk assessment, Mitigation Strategies, Response & Recovery, Awareness & Preparedness, Capacity Building and Training, and decision support systems - thus making DRR a policy priority and institutional strengthening across geographies.
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
RMSI successfully conducted numerous Risk Assessment studies, some of which also encompasses details on early warning systems. These are:
- Synthesis Report on CAC Countries Disaster Risks Assessment: Central Asia and Caucasus Disaster Risk Management Initiative (Published in English and Russian by UNDRR, the World Bank and available on Prevention web)
- Synthesis Report on all the Ten ASEAN Countries Disaster Risks Assessment: ASEAN Disaster Risk Management Initiative (ASEAN DRMI) -available on Prevention web
- Synthesis Report on SAR Countries Disaster Risks: South Asia Disaster Risk Management Program -available on Prevention web
- Synthesis Report on SEE Countries Disaster Risk -(Published by UNDRR and available on Prevention web)
- Fire Hazard and Risk Assessment of India and developing Roadmap for revamping fire services in the country (undergoing)
- Storm Water Management, Sana'a (Flood and landslide risk assessment study for sustainable development, Sana)
-Economic Vulnerability & Disaster Risk Assessment, Malawi & Mozambique (A national level study to help assess the probability of droughts and floods in light of future climate change predictions)
- Disaster Risk Management Study, Romania (developed region specific probabilistic loss estimation models to compute earthquake, flood & landslide risks at commune level...)
- Crop Insurance Study, India (Assessment of the likely impact of increased climate variability and change on the agricultural and water sectors in India...)
- Developing a Disaster Risk Profile for Maldives
- Modeling CAT Risks in Select States of India
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Strategies for the Rural Infrastructure Sector in Lao PDR
-Yemen National probabilistic Risk assessment
- Flood Vulnerability Assessment of Four Agglomerations in Gujarat, India
- Developing a decision support system for Puducherry and Karikaral, India
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
Several of the studies mentioned above and a few others, have components on educating the client through training and hands-on-sessions and generation of public awareness about various aspects of Disaster management.
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
Several of the studies mentioned above and a few others, have identified underlying risk factors and contains suggestions and recommendations in reducing those underlying risk factors.
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
Several of the studies mentioned above and a few others, have recommended preparedness measures that are useful for an effective response.
Geo-spatial Services and Solutions
Application Software Development
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Pushpendra Johari (Vice President, Risk Initatives), RMSI India
Sushil Gupta (General Manager, Risk Modeling and Insurance), RMSI India