The Vietnam Red Cross Society is a public social humanitarian organization tasked with directly assisting and mobilizing organizations, individuals, in-country and abroad, to assist people in difficulties, the vulnerable so that they can improve their living standards and heighten their spirit to rise to the challenge in life.
Disaster Reduction Goal
To contribute to the capacity improvement of the vulnerable community and the national society at commune levels in activities implementation to reduce risks, to enhance self-recovering ability affected by climate change; reducing the number of deaths and injuries, economic and livelihood losses and other consequences of disasters; improving ability to respond to and recover after disasters.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
- Disseminating and popularizing knowledge and skills to prepare and respond to disasters among Red Cross staff, members, youths and volunteers (herein after Society’s forces) and people in the community; encouraging people to protect the environment.
- Participating in mangrove and protective forest plantation; preventing landslide
- Developing/ upgrading the system of disaster preparedness and response centers, early warning system…
- Providing guidance to people on the community’s own capability in preventing and responding to disasters in disaster-prone areas.
- Preparing relief warehouses and other equipment, goods at all levels, especially in the disaster prone areas.
- Developing, equipping and provide training for disaster response teams such as: Red Cross shock-brigade youths, volunteers and emergency response teams. Each Red Cross branches at district level should have at least 50 Red Cross shock-brigade youths and volunteers; the number for each provincial Red Cross chapter is 500.
- Adapting and applying SOPs in order to ensure relief activities of the National Society are carried out in a uniform and synchronized manner.
- Integrating emergency relief activities with water and sanitation , epidemics prevention, health care, psychological support, restoring family link, livelihood and food security enhancement during and after disasters.
- Providing advisory and recommendations to clearly define the position and roles of the Vietnam Red Cross in the strategy and organizational structure to response to climate change adaptation as well as in disaster preparedness and response.