The main goal of IIEES is seismic risk reduction and mitigation both in Iran and the region by promoting research and education in science and technology related to seismotectonic, seismology, earthquake engineering and disaster risk mitigation and managment. IIEES activity in research covers all aspects of earthquakes from geological studies to retrofitting vulnerable structures and disaster risk management. Furthermore, IIEES works on public education as well as professional training in relevant fields.
Disaster Reduction Goal
Reducing sesimic risk in Iran and region is one of the most important goals of IIEES. In this line, several projects carried out by now in cooperation with the World Bank, UNESCO, UNDRR and UNDP.
Policies and Programmes in DRR
Improvement disaster risk mitigation plans, implementing necessary programs for promoting prepardeness against earthquake, organizing workshops and international conferences (SEE Series) are some of the ongoning programmes of IIEES. Furthermore, IIEES are making some plans for reducing earthquake risk in the region in line with Hyogo Framework.
Membership in Key Networks
IIEES is established based on a resolution of UNESCO in 1989. This institue has now some international joint programs with several countries and organizations.
Making disaster risk reduction a policy priority, institutional strengthening (HFA 1)
- Development and preparation of the necessary documents for Iranian Exigency Council for approving The National Policies on Disaster Risk Reduction;
- Participation in development of rules and regulations for the Iran Disaster Management Organization;
- Preparation of the Earthquake Master Plan of Tehran including rules and regulations for safe and sustainable development of the Capital City;
- Assistance in preparing and approving “School Safety Act” by Iran’s Parliament;
- Study community organizations in different urban areas of Iran to improve their activities in improving urban environments and integrate disaster reduction activities in current development activities;
- Holding technical and awareness training for different groups at national to local levels to teach the important roles of community members in pre and post event.
Risk assessment and early warning systems (HFA 2)
- Preparing Maps of Hazard and Active Faults of Iran;
- Developing Broadband Iranian National Seismic Network (BIN);
- Evaluating seismic risks in urban areas of Iran;
- Development of relevant city geo-databases and generating 2D & 3D Risk Maps for a district of Tehran;
- Preparing Structural and Vulnerability Functions and Structural Fragility Curve;
- Development of the guidelines and standards for strengthening and retrofitting of existing buildings;
- Supporting national and local governments for implementation of the necessary activities for risk reduction.
Education, information and public awareness (HFA 3)
- Application of space-based Remote Sensing Technologies for city monitoring;
- Development of models to assess seismic vulnerabilities (Human, Structural and Road Networks ) for one part of Tehran;
- Development of user-friendly local and national inventories and easy-to-use disaster risk reduction technologies;
- Preparing education material (books, posters, etc.);
- Organizing eductaion drills and excerices;
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive program addressing all groups of the society for School Safety;
- Increasing public awareness and preparedness using all types of media;
- Educating children and youngsters about earthquake preparedness at all school levels by including materials in textbooks, films, conducting drills, exhibitions, drawing and writing competitions, posters, etc.;
- Organizing annual art, painting and training exhibition;
- Conducting annual national drill in schools on November 8th;
- Strengthening the key role of women in hazard mitigation programs and promotion of seismic safety culture;
- Posting street posters teaching a-seismic construction.
Reducing underlying risk factors (HFA 4)
- Evaluation of the seismic resistance of critical public facilities and physical infrastructure, such as fire fighting stations, hospitals and water networks;
- Strengthening some of the hospitals and schools in Tehran and other cities;
- Promoting safety of school buildings.
Preparedness for effective response (HFA 5)
- Developing regional and local mechanisms in urban areas to prepare regional and local levels to respond to disaster consequences and save resources that’ll lead to sustainable development;
- Developing technical capacities and training through research, courses and periodic workshops;
- Studies on developing sustainable neighborhoods communities towards earthquake disaster risk reduction.
Disaster Risk Reduction Focal Point(s)
Reducing seismic risk in Iran to an acceptable level by the year 2015.