Bhiwandi is a Multi Hazard prone industrial city located 60 kms from Mumbai.
To make communities disaster resilient through effective planning and service delivery
To make the city disaster resilient through inclusive planning
Part of UNDP and Govt of India's Urban Risk Reduction and Disaster Risk Management Programme.
1. Revision of building bye laws to incorporate disaster management guidelines.
2. Making fire and disaster management plans compulsory for hospital registration.
3. Setting up of city EOC with 24x7x365 staff
4. Budget head created for disaster management
5. Setting up of civil defense unit in Bhiwandi city
6. Formation of a city crisis committee
1. Hazard risk vulnerability study of the city conducted at L1 level.
2. City plans and SOPs updated every year
3. ward level plans made
4. CBDRM done for 8 most vulnerable areas
5. Setting up of community based alert system
6. Installation of CCTvs at strategic location for flood monitoring.
7. SMS mass alert system
8. Intra city disaster communication network
1. Awareness programme done with schools/colleges/Housing societies/Media/ House maids/ Architects/ Structural engineers/ mayor and Councillors/ teachers/ municipal staff/ masons/ doctors/ paramedics/ ANMs/ drivers/ NSS and NCC/ Community
2. preparation and distribution of IEC materials on various disasters city is prone to.
3. Demo drills and mock drills conducted.
4. Setting up of a safe construction demonstration park in Bhwaindi to spread awareness on safe construction practices to be followed for the area
1. Working with SHGs/ ANMs to empower women in disaster management activities.
2. Setting up of a Disable counselling, training and trauma care centre in collaboration with TISS Mumbai.
3. School safety plans and awareness programme for school for physically and mentally challenged students.
1. Formation of city level response team from police, fire brigade and Home guard trained by National Disaster Response Force Pune.
2. Formation of NSS volunteer teams at one team of 30 students per college.
3. Community level volunteers teams
4. Listing of hospitals with minimum number of beds available at any point of time.
5. Network of ambulances in the city.
6. Trained teams of Shelf help groups in First aid
The city can act as a learning platform for other working in the urban scenario. A city with minimum resources (human, financial) can lead with determination.
Be a part of the network on sharing of good practices and is also open to research in the field of disaster management.
Disaster Management Department